Classical Aberration Formula: Understanding & Application

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for aberration of light and its relevance in different scenarios. The non-relativistic formula ## \tan \theta' = \dfrac{\sin \theta}{\beta + \cos \theta} ## is mentioned and its physical applicability is questioned. It is noted that the emission point is irrelevant and the only relevant factor is the angle of the rain relative to the velocity of the car. The formula is also discussed in relation to a point source and the angle between the velocity of the particle and the coordinate axes. Finally, it is concluded that the non-relativistic expression is sufficient for measuring stellar aberration due to its small value.
Kairos
I believe I have understood the formula of aberration of light ##\tan \theta' = \dfrac{\sin \theta}{\beta + \cos \theta} \sqrt{1-\beta^{2}} ##

but I wonder if the non-relativistic formula ## \tan \theta' = \dfrac{\sin \theta}{\beta + \cos \theta} ## has a physical relevance. Does this formula apply to a real physical situation (for sound ?) or is it just an approximation for small ## \beta ##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you ever drive a car in rain? Did the rain seem to be coming from ahead?

Likes vanhees71
Yes I did. But as the point of emission of the rain is not well defined, I have difficulty in defining ## \sin \theta ## and ## \sin \theta' ##

Kairos said:
Yes I did. But as the point of emission of the rain is not well defined, I have difficulty in defining ## \sin \theta ## and ## \sin \theta' ##
The emission point is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is the angle of the rain relative to the velocity of the car.

Likes vanhees71
Does this mean that this formula is valid for an emission by a plane but not for a point source?

Kairos said:
But as the point of emission of the rain is not well defined, I have difficulty in defining ## \sin \theta ## and ## \sin \theta' ##
##\theta## and ##\theta'## have nothing a priori to do with the emission point, they're related to the angle between the velocity of the particle and the coordinate axes i.e. ##\mathbf{v} = (v\cos{\theta}, v\sin{\theta})## and ##\mathbf{v}' = (v'\cos{\theta'}, v'\sin{\theta'})##.

thank you

Stellar aberration is so small that the the NR expression, derived and observed in 1729 by James Bradley,
is sufficient. A simpler measurable result is ##\theta -\theta'=\beta \sin\theta.##

1. What is the classical aberration formula?

The classical aberration formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of aberration (distortion) that occurs in an optical system, such as a lens or mirror. It takes into account factors such as the curvature of the lens, the angle of incidence of light, and the refractive index of the material.

2. How is the classical aberration formula used in optics?

The classical aberration formula is used to determine the amount of aberration present in an optical system, which is important for correcting and optimizing the performance of lenses and mirrors. It is also used in the design and manufacturing of optical instruments, such as telescopes and microscopes.

3. What factors affect the classical aberration formula?

The classical aberration formula takes into account several factors that can affect the amount of aberration in an optical system. These include the curvature of the lens or mirror, the angle of incidence of light, the refractive index of the material, and the wavelength of light.

4. Can the classical aberration formula be applied to all optical systems?

While the classical aberration formula is a useful tool for understanding and correcting aberration in many optical systems, it may not be applicable to all situations. Some optical systems may have more complex aberrations that cannot be fully described by this formula. In these cases, more advanced mathematical models may be used.

5. How can the classical aberration formula be used in practical applications?

The classical aberration formula is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and manufacturing of lenses and mirrors for optical instruments. It is also used in astronomy to correct for aberrations in telescopes, and in microscopy to improve image quality. Additionally, the formula can be used to optimize the performance of optical systems and reduce aberrations for better image quality.