Classical and Spanish Guitar Performances

In summary: Well said! I agree completely with you and cyrusabdollahi. Classical music is the foundation for so many different types of music, and it takes a great deal of talent to create electronically-based music as well. It's all a matter of personal taste and preference, but to dismiss one type of music as having "zero talent" is simply ignorant. Each type of music has its own complexities and nuances that require skill and talent to master.In summary, there is no need to criticize or belittle any type of music. It is all a matter of personal preference
[MEDIA=youtube]qZUKBCupZaA[/MEDIA][/URL]

And one of my favourites, I love the Drum and the Bass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech said:

And one of my favourites, I love the Drum and the Bass :)[/QUOTE]

Now your starting to get it my boy! :tongue:

Anttech said:

And one of my favourites, I love the Drum and the Bass :)[/QUOTE]You've got to be kidding! If you want electric music, dial up some Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Pinetop Perkins, Elmore James, and see what kind of talent the pioneers had. These guys inspired the whole British Invasion of the 1960's and changed music forever. 5 years from now, these posers will be forgotten. 5 centuries from now, Robert Johnson will still be revered.

Here we go again :( I suppose then all artist that came after the renaissance should just not bother because, what's the point, its impossible to create better art.

ridicules argument right?

I would be stupid to Deny that the people you have just mentioned are great artists, but there are more and believe it or not some are still producing, some have just released there second album, and some are not even born yet.

Music is always changing, new styles build on the old. That artist you just dissed is actually revered in the Jazz world by some established Jazz critics, and musicians.

The same nonsense was being said by the Musical *elite* (snobs) about those very artists you are now claiming will be revered for 500 years. How ironic.

If you don't like it, then fine, the musical world won't take notice...

Anttech said:
Here we go again :( I suppose then all artist that came after the renaissance should just not bother because, what's the point, its impossible to create better art.

ridicules argument right?

I would be stupid to Deny that the people you have just mentioned are great artists, but there are more and believe it or not some are still producing, some have just released there second album, and some are not even born yet.

Music is always changing, new styles build on the old. That artist you just dissed is actually revered in the Jazz world by some established Jazz critics, and musicians.

The same nonsense was being said by the Musical *elite* (snobs) about those very artists you are now claiming will be revered for 500 years. How ironic.

If you don't like it, then fine, the musical world won't take notice...
I enjoy innovation, as long as it is accompanied by talent, feel, and musicianship. It takes no talent to program a drum machine to play some interesting rhythms and only marginally more talent to tap and snap on your bass guitar in accompanyment. Teenagers do this kind of wanking in their bedrooms every day. It takes something special to sing and play a song from your gut and make it your own, which is something the blues players I mentioned had in spades. I performed live for ~40 years with a wide variety of musicians, in a wide variety of styles. That does not make me the arbiter of musical taste, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of talent. Give this guy a Fender bass and an Ampeg portaflex amp (basic blues rig for clubs) and you wouldn't listen to him for more than 5 minutes. There's no substance in the "music". If you want to listen to bass guitar played as a lead instrument, I suggest Jaco Pastorius - talent, innovation, and invention. I do not recommend Jaco's style for bass players in bands. It is too intrusive on the midrange occupied by sax, guitar, trumpet, piano, etc, but in a spare musical environment, it can be very effective.

I know Jaco, and I aggree he is a all time great player. However I have a sneeky feeling that you have a problem with any type of Electronic Music. Unfortunatly for you we are now in the post-rock era, where Electronics are and will be used to make music. You may *think* (have you ever even tried to use an 303 or an 808 or any roland sythns to make tunes?) it is teenage wank material, however the weight of opininon (especially in Europe) is against you. I for one will not say any music form is better than another. But I will say that from my own experience it is not easy, and from reading other Electronic Artist biog they tend to aggree the same. The likes of Squarepusher don't just "use a drum machine" they invert the sound, to a point where you wouldn't have a clue how the hell they managed to make that sound, using drum patterns to create melody and melody to create percusion.

Anyway Squarepusher is actually a self-trained expert in both Percusion and Bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squarepusher

hat does not make me the arbiter of musical taste, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of talent. Give this guy a Fender bass and an Ampeg portaflex amp (basic blues rig for clubs) and you wouldn't listen to him for more than 5 minutes.
This is a mute point, its like saying give a soccert player a baseball and throw him in the major leagues and watch how good he is. I doubt very much Jaco with his extraodinary talent could perform a track like squarepusher does.

Please stop being so snobby.

It also seems to me that you enjoy tallent as long as it is with your comfort zone, and with our preconcived notions of what you believe to be *good music.*

Last edited:
Santour.jpg

Many instruments around the world at least in part derive from the santur. Similar forms of the santur have been present in neighboring cultures like Armenia and Turkey for centuries. The Indian santoor is thicker, more rectangular, and can have more strings. Its corresponding mallets are also held differently. The Chinese yangqin originated from the Persian santur during the Persian empire. The Roma people introduced a derivative of the santur called the cymbalum to Eastern Europe, which in turn likely led to the development of the clavichord and the piano.

Never knew that. I know the Irish have a very similar instrument, almost identical infact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santur

Clip: http://anbari.persiangig.com/concertino1963.mp3

Last edited:
If you like Asian / Asian Minor type music, BUT with a morden twist (You can at least try it :smile: ) Listen to Bobby and Nihal on BBC radio 1

You can listen to their show again here --->

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bobbyandnihal/

Its REALLY big this sound right now in London, I really like it. I like the ethnic compositions with a more urban Drum beat etc.. Its cool (Bungra massssivveeeeeee) ;)

Last edited:
[MEDIA=youtube]CRMc5Vy6RbY[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]EemiWxNh3Rc[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]zWAR3iDiblM[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]6x8yFpWa24s[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Ie6JrtJMlhI[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]eGGQBZG6QtM[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL] <- young kid, good.

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]H7t4bFox8ZM[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL] <-old school

wow...

[MEDIA=youtube]2j4S9Qtt8UU[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]n-vuPQmFVJ0[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]