Classification of a second order partial differential equation

In summary, the author asks a question about how the solutions are found, and then provides a brief explanation of how the eigenvalues and solutions are obtained.
sylent33
Homework Statement
classify the partial differential equation
Relevant Equations
DE solving
Hello! Consider this partial differential equation

$$ zu_{xx}+x^2u_{yy}+zu_{zz}+2(y-z)u_{xz}+y^3u_x-sin(xyz)u=0 $$

Now I've got the solution and I have a few questions regarding how we get there. Now we've always done it like this.We built the matrix and then find the eigenvalues.

And here is where my first question arrives. I am not sure how they arive at this matrix.

$$ \left[ \begin{matrix} z & 0 & y-z \\\ 0 & x^2 & 0 \\\ y-z & 0 & z \end{matrix} \right] $$

Now I am guessing that the xx,yy,zz are the diagonal,and that is okay,but I am not sure how get the y-z at the bottom left corner? Its "coordinates" are xz meaning top right,why is it in the bottom left as well? Also what happened to the 2 infront of it?

Now after finding the eigenvalues (I know how to that) we get that the eigenvalues are;

##\lambda_1 = z ##
##\lambda_2 = x^2 ##
##\lambda_3 = z ##

And now comes the second part I don't understand.According to the book we are using for this class the classification should be done like this (and I quote)

elliptic if all EV of A(x) are non-zero and have the same sign
(ii) hyperbolic if all EV of A(x) are non-zero and have different signs.
(iii) parabolic if one or more EW of A(x) is zero.

Okay,and now the solutions are given like this;

Elliptic when : ## x\neq 0 \wedge z>0 ##
Hyperbolic when : ##x\neq 0 \wedge z<0 ##
Parabolic when : x = 0 or z = 0 or x and z = 0

Now the parabolic one,at least to me makes sence.Because it covers all the "cases" if you will.But the first 2 just don't click with me,

The fact that ALL of the EV should be non zero shouldn't we also say z unlike 0? and that they have the same sign,at least to me we are saying that all EV are positive,but nothing says what the sign of x is,it just states that is nonzero it might as well be negative.

Same for the hyperbolic, we are only stating that z is negative,but how do we know that x is positive?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
sylent33 said:
Homework Statement:: classify the partial differential equation
Relevant Equations:: DE solving

Also what happened to the 2 infront of it?
For the off-diagonals, there are a factor of two because the matrix is symmetric and ##u_{xz} = u_{zx}##.
sylent33 said:

The fact that ALL of the EV should be non zero shouldn't we also say z unlike 0?
If ##z>0## (as explicitly stated in case 1) then it cannot be zero.

sylent33 said:

but nothing says what the sign of x is,it just states that is nonzero it might as well be negative.
Because the eigenvalue that depends on ##x## is positive regardless of the sign of ##x## (it is ##x^2##).

I observe the equation is written as
[tex]Tr[\begin{bmatrix}
z & 0 & y-z \\
0 & x^2 & 0 \\
y-z & 0 & z \\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
u_{xx} & u_{xy} & u_{xz} \\
u_{yx} & u_{yy} & u_{yz} \\
u_{zz} & u_{zy} & u_{zz} \\
\end{bmatrix}
-
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\frac{sin(xyz)}{3}u]=0[/tex]
Is it helpful ?

Last edited:
Oh its x squared...well that makes sense now,thanks for pointing it out.

But I didnt get the part with the off-diagonal as such, what do you mean by "For the off-diagonals, there are a factor of two because the matrix is symmetric",I know that the matrix,and if I understood you correctly (not sure I did) if we had it given as 3(y-z) would ##u_xz = u_zx## still hold true,since the matrix is symmetric? Or is it because of the 2 infront (in the example i just gave 3) of the apprentacies.

Likes sylent33
No. There is a factor of 2 between the differential equation and the entries in the matrix. Technically the matrix tells you that you have ##(y-z)(u_{xz} + u_{zx})## but this is equal to ##2(y-z)u_{xz}##. If you had ##3(y-x)u_{xz}## in the equation then the matrix entries would be ##3(y-z)/2##.

Likes sylent33
Makes sence,also I see the x squared as well now.Thanks for the help as always

1. What is a second order partial differential equation?

A second order partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. It is a type of differential equation that is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a second order partial differential equation classified?

A second order partial differential equation is classified based on the highest order derivative present in the equation. If the highest order derivative is second order, then the equation is classified as a second order partial differential equation. It is also classified based on the type of equation, such as elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic.

3. What is the difference between a first order and a second order partial differential equation?

The main difference between a first order and a second order partial differential equation is the highest order derivative present in the equation. In a first order equation, the highest order derivative is first order, while in a second order equation, the highest order derivative is second order. This affects the complexity and solutions of the equation.

4. What are some examples of second order partial differential equations?

Some examples of second order partial differential equations include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of heat, waves, and electric potential, respectively.

5. How are second order partial differential equations solved?

The solution of a second order partial differential equation depends on the specific equation and its boundary conditions. In general, these equations are solved using techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods. The solution can also be obtained using software programs specifically designed for solving differential equations.