Classifying atomic chains in Amorphous Structures

In summary, the end pairs of atoms in these two examples of chains are 8.0 and 9.2 angstroms apart, indicating chain lengths of approximately 5 and 6 carbon atoms respectively. The distance between the end pairs of atoms can also provide insight into the type of bond present in the chain. Further investigation into these chains would provide valuable information about their structure and properties.
Ninnec
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to characterize chains of different length found in amorphous structures. I right now trying to characterize them in two different ways. The first one is how kinky or complex the chain is. The other way is to identify if this is a three dimensional, two dimensional structure. For example a chain that is a straight is a one dimensional structure. I do realize these are vague metrics/questions, I am just trying to come up with a few ideas to test. Thanks for all the help
Here are two examples of chains. The end pairs of atoms are 8.0 angstroms and 9.2 angstroms apart respectively.
chain_2.JPG

chain_1.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing these examples of chains! I am always interested in exploring the structure and properties of different molecules. The fact that the end pairs of atoms in these chains are 8.0 and 9.2 angstroms apart raises some interesting questions.

Firstly, the distance between the end pairs of atoms can give us some insight into the length of the chain. Typically, a single bond between two carbon atoms is around 1.5 angstroms long. This means that the first chain is approximately 5 carbon atoms long (8.0 angstroms / 1.5 angstroms per bond). The second chain is slightly longer, at around 6 carbon atoms.

Additionally, the distance between the end pairs of atoms can also give us some information about the type of bond connecting them. For example, a double bond between two carbon atoms is around 1.3 angstroms long, while a triple bond is around 1.2 angstroms long. By measuring the distance between the end pairs of atoms, we can determine if the bonds in these chains are single, double, or triple bonds.

Further investigation into these chains, such as determining the identity of the atoms and the overall structure, would provide even more valuable information. Thank you for sparking my curiosity and giving me something to ponder.

1. What is the purpose of classifying atomic chains in amorphous structures?

The purpose of classifying atomic chains in amorphous structures is to understand the arrangement and behavior of atoms in non-crystalline materials. This can provide insights into the properties and potential applications of these materials.

2. How are atomic chains classified in amorphous structures?

Atomic chains in amorphous structures are classified based on their spatial arrangement and connectivity. This can be done through various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and computer simulations.

3. What are some common types of atomic chains found in amorphous structures?

Some common types of atomic chains found in amorphous structures include ring structures, chain-like structures, and branching structures. These can vary in size, shape, and composition.

4. How does the classification of atomic chains in amorphous structures impact material properties?

The classification of atomic chains in amorphous structures can provide insights into the structural and electronic properties of materials. This can help in understanding their mechanical, optical, and electrical properties, and can also aid in the design of new materials with specific properties.

5. What are some potential applications of classifying atomic chains in amorphous structures?

The classification of atomic chains in amorphous structures has various potential applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics. This can help in developing new materials for use in electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices, among others.