Classifying singularities of a complex function

In summary, the isolated singularities of the function $$f(z) = \frac{1}{e^z - 1}$$ are located at ##z = 2n\pi i## (for ##n = 0, \pm 1, \pm 2, ...##) and are considered simple poles. This means that when evaluating the function at these points, the value is finite and not infinite. This can be seen by considering the product ##(z-z_0)\cdot f(z)##, where ##z_0## is a pole of first order.
TheCanadian

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find and classify the isolated singularities of the following:

$$ f(z) = \frac {1}{e^z - 1}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution for the positions of the singularities, which is: ## z = 2n\pi i## (for ##n = 0, \pm 1, \pm 2, ...##) and this makes sense. But the solution also says these are simple poles. This part I do not quite understand. For example, if I take the derivative of ##f(z)##, then ##f'(z) = -(e^z -1)^{-2} e^z## where ##f'(2n\pi i)## is also ##\infty##. Perhaps my understanding of simple poles is wrong, but I don't see any singularities of order 1 when considering the Laurent series of ##f(z)##.

Any ideas on why ## z = 2n\pi i## is considered a simple pole here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##z_0=1## is a pole of first order of ##f(z)##, what can be said about ##(z-z_0)\cdot f(z)##?

fresh_42 said:
If ##z_0=1## is a pole of first order of ##f(z)##, what can be said about ##(z-z_0)\cdot f(z)##?
Ahh that makes sense. When evaluating ##(z-z_0)\cdot f(z)## at ##z = z_0##, the value is finite. I incorrectly took the derivative above and treated this like a zero of order 1 instead of a pole. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the purpose of classifying singularities of a complex function?

The purpose of classifying singularities of a complex function is to better understand the behavior of the function near these points. This can help in analyzing the convergence and divergence of the function, as well as in finding the roots and poles of the function.

2. What are the different types of singularities of a complex function?

The three main types of singularities are removable singularities, poles, and essential singularities. Removable singularities occur when the function can be extended to be analytic at the singularity point. Poles are characterized by a finite limit as the variable approaches the singularity point. Essential singularities, on the other hand, have an infinite limit as the variable approaches the singularity point.

3. How do you determine the type of a singularity?

The type of singularity can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function near the singularity point. A removable singularity will have a finite limit, while a pole will have a non-zero limit. If the function has an infinite limit, it is an essential singularity.

4. How do singularities affect the convergence of a complex function?

The presence of singularities can affect the convergence of a complex function. If the function has a removable singularity, it will converge at that point. However, if the function has a pole or essential singularity, it will not converge at that point. In these cases, the behavior of the function near the singularity point must be analyzed to determine if it converges or diverges.

5. Can a complex function have more than one singularity?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple singularities. These singularities can be of different types, such as a combination of removable singularities, poles, and essential singularities. The behavior of the function near each singularity must be analyzed separately to determine the convergence or divergence of the function.