Clean, simple way to strip oxide from aluminum.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with spot welding aluminum foil and the best way to prep the foil for welding. The person asking the question has seen successful results of the process and is confident that it does not require exotic technologies. They are seeking advice on whether using 800 grit sandpaper or phosphoric acid would be the best method to strip off oxide and leave a clean surface for welding.
Mike_In_Plano
Hello All,

I'm normally over on the electronics forum, but recently I had a problem crop up regarding the spot welding of aluminum foil. I've seen the end results of the process, so I know it can be done cleanly. For that matter, I've seen pieces that predate laser welding, etc, so I'm confident it doesn't involve exotic technologies.

My question is this:

Given that I can process and weld the foil in a glove box, what would be the best ( cleanest / safest ) way to prep the foil for welding ( i.e. strip off oxide and leave a clean surface )

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org
800 grit sandpaper ?
Or Phosphoric acid

As a scientist with a background in materials science and engineering, I can offer some suggestions for a clean and simple way to strip oxide from aluminum. One method that is commonly used is chemical etching, where the aluminum foil is immersed in a solution that can dissolve the oxide layer. This can be done using a solution of hydrochloric acid and water, or a mixture of nitric acid and water. However, these solutions can be hazardous and require proper safety precautions.

Another option is mechanical polishing, where the oxide layer is physically removed by abrasion. This can be done using a fine-grit sandpaper or a polishing wheel. However, this method may not be suitable for delicate aluminum foils.

A more specialized technique called anodic stripping can also be used. In this process, the aluminum foil is immersed in a solution and a small electrical current is applied, which causes the oxide layer to dissolve and be stripped away. This method is more controlled and can be used for thin and delicate foils.

Ultimately, the best method for stripping oxide from aluminum will depend on the specific requirements and limitations of your project. I recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting some small-scale experiments to determine the most suitable and safe approach for your particular application.

1. What is the best method for stripping oxide from aluminum?

The most effective method for stripping oxide from aluminum is by using a chemical solution containing sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid. This is commonly known as the alkaline stripping process.

2. Is it safe to use chemicals to strip oxide from aluminum?

Yes, as long as proper safety precautions and protocols are followed. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area.

3. How long does the stripping process take?

The duration of the stripping process can vary depending on the thickness of the oxide layer and the concentration of the chemical solution. On average, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.

4. Can the same solution be used multiple times?

Yes, the chemical solution can be reused multiple times as long as its effectiveness is not compromised. It is recommended to test the solution before each use to ensure its potency.

5. Are there any alternative methods for stripping oxide from aluminum?

Yes, mechanical methods such as sanding or wire brushing can also be used to remove oxide from aluminum. However, these methods may be more time-consuming and labor-intensive compared to the chemical stripping process.