Cleaning crystal meth residue from car

In summary, my roommate smoked meth in my car and there is probably residue everywhere: steering wheels, dashboard, radio, gear selector, emergency brakes, door handles, and not to mention the car seats. I'm thinking about doing the 409 and bleach mixture to try and clean it, but I'm not sure if it will be effective. If it isn't, I'm thinking about getting a new car and roommate.
SingularityNova
I had a roommate that is a regular user of meth. I recently found out that smoking meth leaves a residue behind that can be absorbed through the skin, which worries me because I let him borrow my car and he smoked meth in it before. I'm kind of a hypochondriac when it comes to health issues like this and whenever I drive my car it's always in the back of my head that there is residue absorbing through my skin and I get all paranoid. I don't want any of those toxic chemicals getting into my bloodstream. Since he smoked in my car, there is probably residue everywhere: steering wheels, dashboard, radio, gear selector, emergency brakes, door handles, and not to mention the car seats.

I've already searched this forum and found a thread that talked about what breaks down meth and many people offered many different solutions to cleaning the residue such as 409/bleach combo, piranha solution, vinegar, and even simply water. I'm not sure which route to go..I'm thinking about doing the 409 and bleach combo. Can 409 and bleach mixture effectively get rid of the meth residue? Especially on my steering wheel, handles, dashboard, gear selector, and radio. Well I'm basically planning to clean the whole inside of my car, except for the car seats since its a porous material and I read that you can't clean meth off porous materials.

What do you guys suggest? And is there a way to clean it effectively? Should I just mix the 409 with bleach and soak the rag in it and then get a paper towel and soak it in the 409/bleach mixture and apply it on the places in my car that i want to clean and then just scrub it with the already soaked rag?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If your roommate has been using it for a while, and also your car, wouldn't it be effectively too late for you to clean your car in order not to get them through your skin (if that is even possible -- do you have a credible source for this information)? I don't mean to add to your paranoia, but I would seek professional help (both you and your ex-roommate) for your health concerns (in your case hypochondriac).

If I were you I'd sell the car to the roommate, get a new car and a new roommate.

Last edited:
Likes SteveS

1. How do I know if my car has crystal meth residue?

Crystal meth residue may appear as white or clear crystals, powder, or stains on surfaces in your car. You may also notice a strong chemical or ammonia-like odor.

2. Is crystal meth residue dangerous to have in my car?

Yes, crystal meth residue can be dangerous as it can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled when disturbed. It can cause irritation, respiratory issues, and other health problems.

3. How do I clean crystal meth residue from my car?

To clean crystal meth residue from your car, wear protective gear and use a combination of soap, water, and a degreaser to wipe down surfaces. Dispose of any cleaning materials used properly.

4. Can I use household cleaning products to clean crystal meth residue from my car?

No, it is not recommended to use household cleaning products as they may not be strong enough to effectively remove crystal meth residue. It is best to use specialized cleaners designed for this purpose.

5. How can I prevent crystal meth residue from coming back in my car?

To prevent crystal meth residue from coming back, it is important to address the root cause of its presence. Avoid using or being around crystal meth, and regularly clean and disinfect your car to prevent any potential residue build-up.