Clear and thorough development of the step potential wave function

In summary, the conversation is about a reader's experience with reading Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and their struggles with understanding the step potential problem. They are looking for a clearer and more thorough derivation of the wave function for a step potential and someone recommends G. Baym's presentation in his <Lectures on Quantum Mechanics>. The reader is interested in purchasing this book but also considering other recommended texts such as Griffiths and Sakurai. They also mention their desire to purchase the boxed set of Feynman's lectures, but it is not available for purchase outside of the USA.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am reading Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and am up to the part where he uses Schrodinger's equation to derive the wave function for various 'simple' scenarios in one spatial dimension.

The first few were fine but his presentation of the step potential problem (specifically, the time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet encountering a step potential) is appalling. It's as though he dashed it off in a hurry one morning when he was late for his train to work. It leaves huge gaps, doesn't explain the steps, uses undefined terms and unintroduced concepts, to the extent that I find parts of it completely impenetrable.

This is a great pity as the step potential problem appears to explain how the amazing phenomenon of quantum tunnelling can occur, and I was really looking forward to understanding that.

Can anybody direct me to a derivation of the wave function for a step potential that is both clear and thorough?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may check G. Baym's presentation in his <Lectures on Quantum Mechanics>, pp. 88 onwards.

Thanks for that recommendation. The lectures appear to only be available by purchasing the book, which would take several weeks as it seems to be hard to get, although Amazon's site says it currently has it. Apparently a few years ago it could only be obtained second-hand.

Would you recommend Baym's text generally as a good introductory text on QM? If so, I'll buy it anyway. I have been wondering about getting one or both of the other texts that are sometimes recommended - Griffiths and Sakurai - but opinions seem sharply divided as to their merits. Maybe Baym is the solution.

Does Baym use bra-ket notation? Having invested in understanding that in the first 100 pages of Shankar, I'd prefer to stick with it if possible.

[What I'd really like to buy is the boxed set of Feynman's lectures, but Amazon won't sell them to anybody outside the USA.]

Thanks again

1. What is the step potential wave function?

The step potential wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of a particle that encounters a sudden change in potential energy. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of quantum particles in a potential well or barrier.

2. How is the step potential wave function derived?

The step potential wave function is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state. The solution to the Schrödinger equation for a step potential results in a piecewise function with different forms in the regions before and after the step.

3. What are the important features of the step potential wave function?

The step potential wave function has several important features, including discontinuity at the step, reflection and transmission amplitudes, and the presence of standing waves in the regions before and after the step. These features are essential in understanding the behavior of particles in the presence of a step potential.

4. How does the step potential wave function change with different parameters?

The step potential wave function can change significantly with different parameters, such as the height and width of the potential step, the mass of the particle, and the energy of the particle. These changes can result in different reflection and transmission probabilities, as well as changes in the overall shape of the wave function.

5. What are the applications of the step potential wave function?

The step potential wave function has numerous applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in potential wells, tunneling phenomena, and other systems with sudden changes in potential energy. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computers and nanotechnology.