Clear plastic w slight elasticity

In summary, the person is looking for a plastic that is clear, has a degree of elasticity, and is low in cost. They are unsure if PET would be a good choice as it may not stretch or flex well. They are considering using PVC, which is commonly used for beach balls.
ElDeeL
Hi, I'm not so well informed on plastics and chemistry to them but I need help finding a plastic that will fit the purposes of my need and uses.
I'm looking for a plastic that is clear and elastic(doesn't have to be very elastic), or is the word I'm looking for plasticity, I'm not really sure. Ok, I'll make it easier;
the plastic should resist tear upon single use, where it will be presses btwn two hard objects and one of the objects is pointy but not sharp. the plastic will be moulded so it should have a degree of elasicity so it should fit over the object it was initially moulded to fit over. Another thingis that the plastic should be clear and low in cost.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, elDeeL. This sounds like a standard 'blister pack' to me. If so, PET (pop-bottle plastic) would be a good choice.

ok, I did a bit of research on PET and it sounds good for the purpose except for one bit, I need the material to fit over the required object by almost forcing it and I'm not sure if PET will do well with this. wouldn't it appear like it is in its semi-crystalline state when stretched? and if really made thin how will PET change, could it become more elastic and how about its plasticity(i'm trying to say being bent in different directions and maybe even kept so- not sure if I'm using the right terminology).
thanks

I see. You're correct about PET not liking to stretch, or even to flex over short distances. It becomes 'cloudy' due to internal stress. I'll try to dig up something more suitable. Maybe the stuff that they make beach-balls with? I don't know what it is, but I'll find out.

edit: Okay, beach balls are apparently made of PVC.

Last edited:

Related to Clear plastic w slight elasticity

1. What is clear plastic with slight elasticity?

Clear plastic with slight elasticity is a type of material that is transparent and has the ability to stretch or bend slightly without breaking. It is commonly used in products such as plastic bags, packaging materials, and clothing.

2. What are the benefits of using clear plastic with slight elasticity?

The main benefit of using clear plastic with slight elasticity is its versatility. It can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. It is also lightweight, durable, and resistant to moisture and chemicals.

3. How is clear plastic with slight elasticity made?

Clear plastic with slight elasticity is typically made from a type of plastic called polyethylene. This plastic is melted down and then stretched or blown into thin sheets or films. The addition of certain chemicals during the manufacturing process gives the plastic its elastic properties.

4. Is clear plastic with slight elasticity recyclable?

Yes, clear plastic with slight elasticity is recyclable. However, not all recycling facilities accept this type of plastic, so it is important to check with your local recycling program to see if they accept it. Additionally, some products made with this type of plastic may not be recyclable due to other materials added to the plastic.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using clear plastic with slight elasticity?

There are some potential safety concerns with using clear plastic with slight elasticity. It has been found that some types of this plastic may contain harmful chemicals, such as bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates, which can leach into food or liquids stored in the plastic. It is important to check the labeling of products and avoid heating or microwaving items made with this plastic to reduce the risk of exposure to these chemicals.