Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition for 6 x 3

In summary, the conversation discusses the C-G decomposition for 6 ⊗ 3 and the use of ladder operators to find the coefficients. The second speaker suggests using Young tableaux for an easier approach. The first speaker is familiar with this method but is focused on using the procedure outlined by Georgi and is trying to work it out for 6 ⊗ 3 in the context of SU(3).
nigelscott

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am trying to get the C-G Decomposition for 6 ⊗ 3.

2. Homework Equations

Neglecting coefficients a tensor can be decomposed into a symmetric part and an antisymmetric part. For the 6 ⊗ 3 = (2,0) ⊗ (1,0) this is:

Tij ⊗ Tk = Qijk = (Q{ij}k + Q{ji}k) + (Q[ij]k + Q[ji]k)

Where the focus is only on the interchange of the i and j indeces.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the antisymmetric term: (Q[ij]k + Q[ji]k). Use the invariant tensor to get:

εijllmnQmnk + εlnmQnmk) = εijl(Qkl + Qkl)

So the symmetric part is the '10' (3,0) and the antisymmetric part is the '8' (1,1). The symmetric part is traceless. However, I think I have neglected the trace of the antisymmetric term Qkl and should be writing Qkl - δklQ. However, If I do this I now have to add the singlet which shouldn't be there. What am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure at what level you're trying to understand the C-G decomposition, but if you're just interested in relating two different representations of angular momentum states, then to me, the best approach is to repeatedly use raising/lowering operators.

You have two systems, one with angular momentum 5/2 (so it is a "6", in that there are 6 states: ##m=+5/2, +3/2, +1/2, -1/2, -3/2, -5/2##). You have a second system with angular momentum 1 (so it is a "3" with 3 states: ##m=1, 0, -1##). You can combine them to get a state that has angular momentum 7/2 (an "8"), 5/2 (a "6") or 3/2 (a "4"). So the equation is:

##6 \otimes 3 = 8 \oplus 6 \oplus 4##

To figure out the coefficients, you start with:

##|j_1 = 5/2, m_1 = 5/2, j_2 = 1, m_2 = 1\rangle = |j = 7/2, m = 7/2\rangle##

We have ##J_1{-} + J_2{-} = J_{-}##, so act on the left side with ##J_1{-} + J_2{-} ## and act on the right side with ##J_{-}##. You use the fact that

##J_{-} |j\ m\rangle = \sqrt{j (j+1) - m (m-1)} |j\ m-1\rangle##

This gives you:

##\sqrt{5/2 7/2 - 5/2 3/2} |5/2, 3/2,1, 1\rangle + \sqrt{2} |5/2, 3/2, 1, 0\rangle ##
##= \sqrt{7/2 9/2 - 7/2 5/} | 7/2, 5/2\rangle##

So ##\sqrt{5/7} |5/2, 3/2, 1, 1\rangle + \sqrt{2/7} |5/2, 5/2, 1, 0\rangle = |7/2, 5/2\rangle##

You can repeatedly operate with ##J_{-1}## to find out all the coefficients relating ##j_1 = 5/2, j_2 = 1## to ##j=7/2##.

Then you can go back to
So ##\sqrt{5/7} |5/2, 3/2, 1, 1\rangle + \sqrt{2/7} |5/2, 5/2, 1, 0\rangle = |7/2, 5/2\rangle##

Choosing the orthogonal combination, you find:
So ##\sqrt{2/7} |5/2, 3/2, 1, 1\rangle - \sqrt{5/7} |5/2, 5/2, 1, 0\rangle = |5/2, 5/2\rangle##

This approach is a concrete way to get the coefficients. It looks like you're trying to understand things at a more abstract level?

SU(3).

The easiest way of doing this is to use Young tableaux. Are you familiar with them?
nigelscott said:
SU(3).
Note that this is vital information that was left out of your first post.

Yes, I am familiar and recognize that Young tableaux is easier for practical purposes. However, this approach should give the same result, yes?

What is Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition for 6 x 3?

Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition for 6 x 3 is a mathematical technique used to decompose a tensor product of two irreducible representations into a direct sum of irreducible representations. In simpler terms, it is a way to break down a complex mathematical object into simpler, more manageable parts.

Why is Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition important in physics?

Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition is important in physics because it helps to simplify and understand complex physical systems. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with multiple intrinsic properties, such as spin and angular momentum.

How is Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition calculated for 6 x 3?

Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition for 6 x 3 involves using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which are mathematical constants that relate the basis states of the individual representations to the basis states of the tensor product. These coefficients can be calculated using various methods, such as the Wigner-Eckart theorem or the Racah formula.

What are the applications of Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition?

Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition has many applications in physics and mathematics. In addition to its use in quantum mechanics, it is also used in the study of group theory, representation theory, and symmetry. It has also been applied in fields such as molecular spectroscopy and crystallography.

Are there any limitations to Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition?

While Clebsch-Gordan Decomposition is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom and is not suitable for systems with continuous symmetries. Additionally, the calculation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients can become increasingly complex for higher dimensional representations.