Closed Feedback Loop mechanical system examples

In summary, this student is trying to design a mechanical system and is having trouble figuring out what it would look like. He is thinking about a system with either 1 or 2 degrees of freedom and is looking for advice on what system to model. He is also having trouble with the on-off valve for his system.
nakas12

Homework Statement

Hello everybody I was hoping some of you could give me some some examples of some closed feedback loop mechanical systems.

This is for my controls class where we have to design our own control system. I'm having trouble trying figure out some systems. I know one would be cruise control but that is not an option considering it was shown as an example in our class.

Our goal is to model the system, linearize it and then find the systems transfer function and then find the state space representation.

Any suggestions would be helpful, but please nothing too difficult. Our goal is to use a simple mechanical problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
nakas12 said:

Homework Statement

Hello everybody I was hoping some of you could give me some some examples of some closed feedback loop mechanical systems.

This is for my controls class where we have to design our own control system. I'm having trouble trying figure out some systems. I know one would be cruise control but that is not an option considering it was shown as an example in our class.

Our goal is to model the system, linearize it and then find the systems transfer function and then find the state space representation.

Any suggestions would be helpful, but please nothing too difficult. Our goal is to use a simple mechanical problem.

It would be best if you would post your thoughts on such systems first. We don't do your homework for you here (which you know), but we should be able to suggest some systems for you to think about and build upon, as long as you show us your thoughts first. I have a few good suggestions for you, but would like to see how your are thinking about this school project first...

Ok sorry about that. But I'm thinking of having a system with either 1 or 2 degrees of freedom. I was thinking of a simple system where the input would be a force or torque and the output could be some kind of velocity or position.

The transfer function our professor wants though is a 3rd order or more.

nakas12 said:
Ok sorry about that. But I'm thinking of having a system with either 1 or 2 degrees of freedom. I was thinking of a simple system where the input would be a force or torque and the output could be some kind of velocity or position.

The transfer function our professor wants though is a 3rd order or more.

Wouldn't the inputs and output be switched from what you propose? Maybe I'm not understanding the systems you want to model...

Umm I guess. Now I'm a little confused about what you mean. A system that was applied a force such as a car would have a certain velocity that it would to reach like cruise control.

How about a home thermostat? The system would include the heater, room heat capacity, etc.

Unforunatley no I can't use that system. It's been used before too many time apparently.

Ok, you're manufacturing saline solution for medical use. You start with distilled water continuously flowing into a tank at a constant rate, and a valve that drops salt from a salt container into the tank. A pair of electrodes measures the salt concentration and controls the valve so as to set the concentration to the desired level. Fresh distilled water continuously pours into the tank so the valve will be shutting on and off to keep the saline level constant.

(Salt when dropped in water ionizes almost completely so the water's conductivity is a measure of saline concentration.)

This feedback system has elements of continuous as well as discrete subsystems in it.

If you have trouble with the on-off valve, you could assume a continuously variable valve aperture to control the flow of salt continuously rather than the way a house furnace turns on & off. the analysis would be simpler in that case.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    23 KB · Views: 262

Related to Closed Feedback Loop mechanical system examples

1. What is a closed feedback loop mechanical system?

A closed feedback loop mechanical system is a system in which the output of the system is fed back into the input, allowing for adjustments and corrections to be made based on the output. This creates a continuous loop of feedback that helps the system to maintain stability and achieve its desired goal.

2. What are some examples of closed feedback loop mechanical systems?

Some examples include thermostats, cruise control in cars, and self-balancing robots. In these systems, sensors measure the output (temperature, speed, balance) and provide feedback to the input (heating/cooling, acceleration, motor control) to maintain the desired state.

3. How does a closed feedback loop mechanical system work?

A closed feedback loop mechanical system works by using sensors to measure the output of the system, which is then compared to the desired output. If there is a difference, the system makes adjustments to the input to bring the output closer to the desired state. This process continues until the desired output is achieved.

4. What are the advantages of using closed feedback loop mechanical systems?

Some advantages include increased stability and accuracy, as well as the ability to adapt to changing conditions. Closed feedback loop systems can also be more efficient and require less human intervention, as they can make adjustments automatically.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using closed feedback loop mechanical systems?

Potential drawbacks include complexity and potential for error. If the sensors or feedback mechanisms are not functioning properly, the system may not be able to make accurate adjustments. Additionally, closed feedback loop systems may be more expensive to design and implement compared to open loop systems.