Understanding Total Gain and Phase Angle in Closed Loop Control Systems

In summary, a closed loop control system consists of three components: Controller, Process, and Measuring System. Each component has its own gain and phase angle. To find the total gain, the formula is total gain = A*B / (1 + (A*B)*C). However, to find the total phase angle, the formula is more complex and involves manipulating complex numbers in polar and rectangular form. The phase shift is frequency-dependent and can be found by rewriting the transfer function and applying the definition for phase shift.
StripesUK

Homework Statement

A closed loop control system has three components, Controller, Process, and Measuring System. Each has it's own gain and phase angle. I understand how to find the total of the gain but I'm unsure as to how to find the total phase angle?

Homework Equations

Total Gain=
[itex]\frac{A*B}{1+(A*B)*C}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this formula on the phase angle doesn't give a sensible answer. My instincts tell me that it is just straight addition? I know I've not got very far on this myself, just a nudge in the right direction would be hugely useful.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every frequency corresponds to a complex number. That leads to a complex number for $$ \frac{A*B}{1+(A*B)*C} $$.
The modulus of the complex number is the gain and the argument is the phase shift.

You have
A = |A|exp(jθA)
B = |B|exp(jθB)
C = |C|exp(jθC)
then combine these in your formula to get the net θ.
You do have to know how to manipulate complex numbers both in polar and rectangular form.[/SUB]

For real values of A,B and C the phase shift is (of course) zero - trivial, but unrealistic solution.
Hence, all of these expressions must be considered to be frequency-dependent (complex expressions).
For finding the total phase shift you have nothing to do than (a) to rewrite the transfer function and split it into a real and an imag. part, and (b) apply the definition for phase shift.

1. What is phase lag in a control system?

Phase lag in a control system refers to the delay in the output response of a system compared to the input signal. It is measured in degrees and can occur due to various factors such as filtering, time delays, and system dynamics.

2. How does phase lag affect control system performance?

Phase lag can cause instability in a control system and lead to oscillations or overshoot in the output response. It can also decrease the overall system response speed and accuracy.

3. What causes phase lag in a control system?

Phase lag can occur due to a variety of factors, such as delays in the system components, frequency-dependent characteristics of the system, and nonlinearities in the system dynamics. These factors can cause the output signal to lag behind the input signal, resulting in phase lag.

4. How can phase lag be minimized in a control system?

Phase lag can be minimized by carefully designing the control system, considering factors such as system dynamics, frequency response, and time delays. Using compensators, such as lead-lag networks, can also help to reduce phase lag.

5. Is phase lag always undesirable in a control system?

No, phase lag can sometimes be intentionally introduced in a control system to improve stability and reduce overshoot. In certain systems, phase lag can also be used to achieve a desired phase margin and improve robustness. The key is to carefully consider the effects of phase lag and design the control system accordingly.