Closed-form expressions for FIR least squares inverse filters

• Thread starter Linder88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses finding closed-form expressions for the FIR least squares inverse filter of length N for three different systems. It is clarified that closed-form means an equation in the form of function = (some combination of standard functions). The attempted solution is corrected to first take the inverse of G(z) and then perform the inverse z-transform. However, there is uncertainty about the third expression, which may need to be expanded as a constant plus a constant over (α-z-1).
Linder88
Thread moved from the technical Mth forums, so no Homework Template is shown

Homework Statement

The assignment is to find a closed-form expression for the FIR least squares inverse filter of length N for each of the following systens

Homework Equations

$$
1.G( z ) = \frac{1}{1 - \alpha z^{-1}}; | \alpha | < 1 \\
2. G(z) = 1 - z^{-1} \\
3. G(z) = \frac{\alpha - z^{-1}}{1 - \alpha z^{-1}}; |\alpha| < 1
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Anybody have any ideas, I can't really understand what is meant by close-form either from the book or from wikipedia. My guess is:
$$
1. G( z ) = \frac{z}{z - \alpha} \\
2. G( z ) = z-1 \\
3. G( z ) = \frac{z - 1 }{z - \alpha}
$$
Every helping hand is welcome

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linder88 said:
FIR least squares inverse filter of length N
Your attempted solution does not seem to bear any relationship to that clause. Not an area I know anything about, but it is clear that you are not merely being asked to present G(z) in a closed form (those expressions already are).
Linder88 said:
what is meant by close-form
Closed form means an equation of the form function = (some combination of standard functions).
That is, the right hand side cannot contain any references back to the function being expressed, nor integrals, nor sums, nor any special functions defined for the purpose. There are some grey areas.

Yes, you are right. I realized that I have misunderstood the quetion, I'm supposed to first tale the inverse of $G(z)$
$$
1. G^{-1}(z)=\frac{1}{G(z)}=1-\alpha z^{-1} \\
2. G^{-1}(z)=\frac{1}{1-z^{-1}} \\
3. G^{-1}(z)=\frac{1-\alpha z^{-1}}{\alpha-z^{-1}}
$$
Now, I only need to make the inverse z-transform
$$
1. g(n) = -\alpha \delta(n-1) \\
2. g(n) = -u(n-1) \\
$$
I'm not sure about the third

Last edited:
Linder88 said:
I'm not sure about the third
Expand as constant+constant/(α-z-1)?

1. What is a closed-form expression?

A closed-form expression is a mathematical expression that can be evaluated using a finite number of operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. This means that the expression has a clear and unambiguous solution that can be written in a compact and concise form.

2. How is a closed-form expression different from an open-form expression?

A closed-form expression is an algebraic expression that can be solved for a specific variable, whereas an open-form expression is a more general expression that cannot be solved in the same way. Closed-form expressions are often preferred because they provide a direct solution, while open-form expressions require further manipulation to find a specific solution.

3. What are some examples of closed-form expressions?

Examples of closed-form expressions include polynomial equations, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. For instance, the equation y = 2x + 5 is a closed-form expression because it can be solved for the variable x to give a specific solution.

4. How are closed-form expressions used in scientific research?

Closed-form expressions are often used in scientific research to model and describe various phenomena, such as physical processes and natural phenomena. They are also used in statistical analysis and data modeling to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the given data.

5. Are there any limitations to using closed-form expressions?

While closed-form expressions are useful for providing direct and concise solutions, they are not always suitable for solving complex problems. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a closed-form expression for a given problem, and alternative methods, such as numerical approximation, must be used. Additionally, certain types of functions, such as transcendental functions, may not have closed-form solutions.