Closed form solution for second order beam deflection?

In summary, a closed form solution for second order beam deflection is a precise mathematical expression that accurately calculates the deflection of a beam based on its properties, loading conditions, and boundary conditions. It is derived using principles of mechanics and differential equations and offers benefits such as accuracy, efficiency, and a better understanding of beam behavior. However, it may have limitations in its applicability and more advanced analysis methods may be needed in certain cases. It can also be used for dynamic analysis, but may only be suitable for simpler dynamic loading conditions.
veganfox

Homework Statement

A beam of length L is fixed on one end and roller supported on the other end. An axial force P is applied on the ends of the beam. The beam is loaded with a uniform distributed load (q) along its entire length. The beam has constant EI. Find an expression for the maximum second order moment, the maximum deflection and its location along the beam.

Homework Equations

The general solution for the problem is given as w''''(x)+k^2 w''(x) = q/EI
Where w(x) is the deflection of the beam
Axial force, P=k^2 EI
Moment, M=-EI w''(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving for w(x) = Asinkx + Bcoskx + Cx + D + p x^2 /(2P)
End conditions are:
For the pinned end, w(0)=0, w''(0)=0
For the fixed end, w(L)=0, w'(L)=0

I could not find a closed from solution for this problem. After eliminating A, B, C and D, I end up with a mess of sines, cosines and x. Software works if I substitute in arbitrary values for k and L, but I require an expression to answer the question.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are having trouble finding a closed form solution for the given problem. it is important to be able to solve problems analytically rather than relying on numerical methods. Here are some tips to help you find a closed form solution:

1. Use boundary conditions: The given problem has four boundary conditions, two at each end of the beam. These conditions can help you eliminate unknown constants and simplify the solution.

2. Use symmetry: The beam is loaded with a uniform distributed load, which means that the load is symmetric about the midpoint of the beam. This symmetry can help you simplify the solution by considering only one half of the beam.

3. Use substitution: You have already tried substituting in arbitrary values for k and L, which is a good approach. However, you can also try substituting in specific values that satisfy the boundary conditions. This can help you eliminate unknown constants and simplify the solution.

4. Use integration: The given problem involves a second order differential equation. You can solve this equation by integrating it twice, which will give you a fourth order equation. Then, you can use the boundary conditions to solve for the unknown constants.

I hope these tips will help you find a closed form solution for the given problem. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest consulting with your peers or a professor for further assistance.

1. What is a closed form solution for second order beam deflection?

A closed form solution for second order beam deflection is a mathematical expression that accurately calculates the deflection of a beam based on its properties, loading conditions, and boundary conditions. It provides an exact solution rather than an approximate one, making it a more precise and reliable method for analyzing beam deflection.

2. How is a closed form solution for second order beam deflection derived?

A closed form solution for second order beam deflection is derived using the principles of mechanics and differential equations. It involves solving the governing equation of beam deflection, which takes into account the beam's geometry, material properties, and external forces. This process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using a closed form solution for second order beam deflection?

Using a closed form solution for second order beam deflection allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of beam structures. It provides an exact solution, eliminating the need for approximation methods, and can be easily programmed into computer software for faster calculations. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of beams under different loading conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to using a closed form solution for second order beam deflection?

One limitation of using a closed form solution for second order beam deflection is that it may not be applicable to all types of beam structures or loading conditions. It assumes certain simplifications and idealizations that may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. In some cases, a more advanced analysis method, such as finite element analysis, may be needed for a more accurate solution.

5. Can a closed form solution for second order beam deflection be used for dynamic analysis?

Yes, a closed form solution for second order beam deflection can be used for dynamic analysis by incorporating additional factors such as damping and inertia. However, it may only be applicable for simple dynamic loading conditions, and more complex dynamic problems may require other methods of analysis.