Closed trajectory in a central field of force; find the mass

In summary, the particle has a mass of 2kg if its minimum distance from the center of the field is equal to 1 meter and its velocity at the point farthest from the center is 2 meters per second.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a closed trajectory in a central field of force where the particle's potential energy is U=kr2 (k is a positive constant, r is the distance of the particle from the center O of the field). Find the mass of the particle if it's minimum distance from O equals r1 and it's velocity at the point farthest from O equals v2.

Homework Equations

##rv=r^2\dot \theta=\text{constant}\equiv c_a##
##0.5mv^2+kr^2=0.5m(\dot r^2+r^2\dot \theta^2)+kr^2=\text{constant}\equiv c_b##
##\dot r = \dot \theta \frac{dr}{d\theta}##
##\vec F=-\nabla U=-2k\vec r=m(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)\hat r##

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt ignored the force equation (the last of my "relevant equations").
What I did was to eliminate the time dependency in the energy equation to get a differential equation between r and θ, like this:
##c_b=kr^2+\frac{mc_a^2}{2r^4}\big ( \frac{dr}{d\theta} \big )^2+\frac{mc_a^2}{2r^2}##
which is a separable equation:
##d\theta=\frac{c_adr}{r^2\sqrt{\frac{2}{m}(c_b-kr^2)-\frac{c_a^2}{r^2}}}##
I haven't tried, but I don't think I can solve that integral. At any rate, there must be a simpler way. What I am doing will lead to the arbitrary path of an object in this field (the constants ca and cb are defined by the initial condition). I don't think it is necessary to solve for the entire trajectory like this... but I don't know what else to do.

[edited to include that k is a positive constant]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:
##rv=r^2\dot \theta=\text{constant}\equiv c_a##
##0.5mv^2+kr^2=0.5m(\dot r^2+r^2\dot \theta^2)+kr^2=\text{constant}\equiv c_b##

Use each of these two equations to relate ##r_1, r_2, v_1## and ##v_2##. Combine the equations and simplify.

TSny said:
Use each of these two equations to relate ##r_1, r_2, v_1## and ##v_2##. Combine the equations and simplify.
That's 3 unknowns with only two equations. We want to find the mass. r2 and v1 are unknown.

It seems to me that more information is needed. There are three unknowns: ##r_2,\ v_1## and ##m##. But there are only two equations - one from conservation of angular momentum and one from conservation of energy. Can we get another, independent, equation, or is the problem under-specified?

Edit: I see that Nathaneal has pointed this out. For some reason it didn't appear on my screen.

andrewkirk said:
It seems to me that more information is needed. There are three unknowns: ##r_2,\ v_1## and ##m##. But there are only two equations - one from conservation of angular momentum and one from conservation of energy. Can we get another, independent, equation, or is the problem under-specified?
I was thinking the same, but I think the final constraint may come from the fact that it is a "closed trajectory," because surely not all initial conditions will lead to a closed trajectory (right?). I'm just not sure how to use this constraint. (This is why I attempted to solve for the entire trajectory r(θ) in the OP by eliminating time.)

I just checked and the answer is supposed to be ##m=2k(\frac{r_1}{v_2})^2##

This is what you get if you assume the path is circular, but I see no reason why this should be the answer in general. Perhaps the problem creator made a mistake with this one? (The problem statement is word for word.)

Nathanael said:
I just checked and the answer is supposed to be ##m=2k(\frac{r_1}{v_2})^2##

This is what you get if you assume the path is circular, but I see no reason why this should be the answer in general. Perhaps the problem creator made a mistake with this one? (The problem statement is word for word.)
No, it does not depend on the shape of the trajectory, and you do not need to solve the differential equation.
Just follow TSny's lead to obtain a differential equation that does not involve theta. From this you can obtain expressions for the min and max radii. You can use your energy equation to relate the maximum radius to the velocity at that point.

Nathanael said:
That's 3 unknowns with only two equations. We want to find the mass. r2 and v1 are unknown.
Just use the two equations
##rv=\text{constant}##
##0.5mv^2+kr^2=\text{constant}##.

The first equation tells you that ##r_1v_1 = r_2v_2##. Similarly, you can get a relation involving ##r_1, v_1, r_2, v_2##, and ##m## from the second equation. Due to the form of the potential energy, you will be able to solve for ##m## in terms of just ## r_1## and ##v_2##.

##0.5m(\frac{r_2v_2}{r_1})^2+kr_1^2=0.5mv_2^2+kr_2^2##
##m\big(\frac{v_2}{r_1}\big)^2(r_2^2-r_1^2)=2k(r_2^2-r_1^2)##
##m=2k\big (\frac{r_1}{v_2}\big )^2##

@TSny How did you know it would cancel like this?

I didn't! I just wanted to see what you could conclude from the two equations. Bingo, the answer fell out unexpectedly:wideeyed:.

Likes Nathanael

1. What is a closed trajectory in a central field of force?

A closed trajectory in a central field of force is a path followed by an object under the influence of a central force, where the object returns to its initial position after completing one full revolution. This can be seen in the orbit of planets around the sun, where the gravitational force is the central force acting on the planet.

2. How is the mass of an object determined using a closed trajectory in a central field of force?

The mass of an object can be determined by using the formula for centripetal force (F=mv^2/r) and setting it equal to the formula for gravitational force (F=GmM/r^2) in a central field of force. Solving for the mass of the object, we get m = v^2r/GM, where v is the velocity of the object, r is the radius of the trajectory, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

3. What is the significance of a closed trajectory in a central field of force?

A closed trajectory in a central field of force is significant because it allows us to determine the mass of an object without directly measuring it. This is useful in situations where the object's mass cannot be easily measured, such as in space. Additionally, the shape and size of the closed trajectory can provide information about the strength and direction of the central force acting on the object.

4. Can a closed trajectory exist in a non-central field of force?

No, a closed trajectory can only exist in a central field of force. In a non-central field of force, the direction and strength of the force acting on the object changes as it moves, resulting in an open trajectory or a non-uniform closed trajectory.

5. How does the mass of the central body affect the characteristics of a closed trajectory in a central field of force?

The mass of the central body affects the size, shape, and period of a closed trajectory in a central field of force. A higher mass of the central body will result in a smaller trajectory with a shorter period, while a lower mass will result in a larger trajectory with a longer period. This is because the gravitational force, and therefore the centripetal force, is directly proportional to the mass of the central body.