Closest line from a point to a curve in R^2

In summary: P-X(t)||## and see what you get.In summary, the conversation is about trying to show that given a parametrized curve and a fixed point, the closest point on the curve to the point has a line between them that is perpendicular to the curve. The suggested approach is to use the definition of "perpendicular" and the fact that the dot product of the tangent vector and the vector between the point and the curve is zero. There is discussion about how to find the closest point on the curve, and it is suggested to minimize the squared distance instead of the distance. The conversation ends with the person understanding how to use the definition of "perpendicular" to reduce the dot product.
RBG
Given a parametrized curve ##X(t):I\to\mathbb{R}^2## I am trying to show given a fixed point ##p##, and the closest point on ##X## to ##p##, ##X(t_0)##, the line between the point and the curve is perpendicular to the curve. My only idea so far is to show that ##(p-X(t))\cdot(\frac{X'(t)}{||X'(t)||})=0##. But in general, I don't see why this would be true? It seems clear geometrically, but obviously that's not an argument. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of "perpendicular".

Simon Bridge said:
Use the definition of "perpendicular".

Isn't that the dot product is zero? That or that the slopes of the tangent lines are inverse reciprocals of one another. But I don't see how the latter definition can be applied...

Dot products of what?
How can a line be perpendicular to a curve?

RBG said:
the closest point on ##X## to ##p##
I take it that you assume the curve is smooth. Even then, note that the closest point may not be unique. Also, when ##I## is not compact, a closest point is not guaranteed to exist, as ##t \mapsto \|p - X(t)\|## need not assume its infimum over ##I## then.

Simon Bridge said:
Dot products of what?
How can a line be perpendicular to a curve?

Dot product of the tangent vector, right? So above ##(p-X(t_0))## is the vector between point and curve and ##X'(t_0)## is the tangent vector. But I don't see why should ##p\dot X'(t_0)-X(t_0)X'(t_0)=0##

... given a point on the curve, how would you tell that it is the closest point?
Given the curve C and a point P, how would you usually go about finding the closest point on C to P?

Krylov said:
I take it that you assume the curve is smooth. Even then, note that the closest point may not be unique. Also, when ##I## is not compact, a closest point is not guaranteed to exist.

We are assuming ##X(t)## is a regular parametrized curve and ##t_0## is not an endpoint of ##I##.

RBG said:
Dot product of the tangent vector, right? So above ##(p-X(t_0))## is the vector between point and curve and ##X'(t_0)## is the tangent vector. But I don't see why should ##p\dot X'(t_0)-X(t_0)X'(t_0)=0##
... why not just work through the expression that arises from the definition you just used?

Simon Bridge said:
... given a point on the curve, how would you tell that it is the closest point?
Given the curve C and a point P, how would you usually go about finding the closest point on C to P?

You would take the derivative of ##||p-X(t)||## and minimize it. Then check which points are minimal, right?

RBG said:
You would take the derivative of ##||p-X(t)||## and minimize it. Then check which points are minimal, right?

That is how I would do it, but I would make the problem easier by minimizing ##|| p - X(t)||^2 ## instead of ##||p - X(t)||##. These problems are equivalent, in the sense that their ##t##-solutions are the same.

Likes Simon Bridge
Simon Bridge said:
... why not just work through the expression that arises from the definition you just used?
I really don't understand what you mean by this. I should use the fact that I am minimizing ##|p-X(t)||## somehow to reduce the dot product?

RBG said:
I really don't understand what you mean by this. I should use the fact that I am minimizing ##|p-X(t)||## somehow to reduce the dot product?
OOOOOOHHHHH... duh. Nevermind. Right... Thanks! Just do the calculation of taking the derivative

1. What is the closest line from a point to a curve in R2?

The closest line from a point to a curve in R2 is the line that is perpendicular to the curve at the closest point. This line is also known as the normal line.

2. How do you find the closest line from a point to a curve in R2?

To find the closest line from a point to a curve in R2, you first need to find the point on the curve that is closest to the given point. Then, you can use the slope of the tangent line at that point to find the slope of the normal line. Finally, use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the normal line.

3. What is the equation of the closest line from a point to a curve in R2?

The equation of the closest line from a point to a curve in R2 can be found using the point-slope formula, where the point is the closest point on the curve and the slope is the slope of the normal line at that point.

4. Can the closest line from a point to a curve in R2 intersect the curve?

Yes, it is possible for the closest line from a point to a curve in R2 to intersect the curve. This can happen when the given point lies on the curve or when the slope of the normal line at the closest point is zero, which means the normal line is parallel to the x-axis.

5. Is the closest line from a point to a curve in R2 always unique?

No, the closest line from a point to a curve in R2 is not always unique. If the given point lies on the curve, then the closest line is the tangent line at that point, which is unique. However, if the given point lies off the curve, there can be multiple normal lines with the same slope and different y-intercepts, all of which are equally close to the given point.