CMB creation, distance measurement question

In summary, the temperature at which decoupling of the CMB happens is 3000K, and we can estimate how long it took for the space to expand solely on this information, the decoupling temperature and the current temperature.
artis
How do we know it;s redshift for certain? because unlike with stars the CMB doesn't have spectral lines nor other "similar" objects to compare to as it is everywhere and the same.

From what I understand first came the theory and model of the Big bang, then Hubble saw that distant galaxies are moving away from us in every direction, then in 1965 they first experimentally verified the CMB by accident and from there we got it's current temperature,
then we plotted this temperature against the temperature at which neutral plasma can form Hydrogen atoms , aka the point at which the energy falls low enough for recombination to occur.
I read that even though the first energy low enough for hydrogen formation is about 13.6 eV that at this energy still only a fraction of the plasma formed hydrogen so the energy had to drop still lower where the majority of the matter became neutral atoms at which point the CMB photons could fully decouple.

So would I be correct in stating that we cannot observe the CMB redshift experimentally(because experimentally we just see radiation at specific wavelength) but instead have deduced it from secondary sources like lab experiments with hydrogen and plasma from which we have calculated the energy levels of hydrogen electrons and the energy and corresponding temperature of the point where such plasma can form atoms.

If so far is so good then I have one more question,
so we come to the conclusion that the temperature at which decoupling of the CMB happens is 3000K and now in present day we see that the temperature is 2.7K,
Can we then estimate how long it took for the space to expand solely on this information , the decoupling temperature and the current temperature?

Space news on Phys.org
artis said:
So would I be correct in stating that we cannot observe the CMB redshift experimentally(because experimentally we just see radiation at specific wavelength) but instead have deduced it from secondary sources like lab experiments with hydrogen and plasma from which we have calculated the energy levels of hydrogen electrons and the energy and corresponding temperature of the point where such plasma can form atoms.

Yes, exactly. When you observe radiation you measure a single quantity (wavelength or frequency) and that is all you get. If you find a spectrum that looks like hydrogen but is shifted, then you may infer that the radiation was produced by hydrogen and has been shifted due to some relationship between you (the observer) and the source.

artis said:
How do we know it;s redshift for certain? because unlike with stars the CMB doesn't have spectral lines nor other "similar" objects to compare to as it is everywhere and the same.

What we do have is the energy density distribution of the black-body spectrum. This has a characteristic shape and a peak energy density relating to the temperature. We also need a theory that explains the point at which the universe became transparent to light. Up to a certain time the temperature was too high to allow photons to travel indefinitely, then, as the universe cooled, there came a time when photons could travel unimpeded.

A critical part of the calculation, therefore, is to determine the temperature at which this "decoupling" happened. This is not a simple calculation.

If we put these two things together we have an estimate of how much the universe has expanded since decoupling: we get the temperature at decoupling by some calculation and by measuring the temperature of the CMDB today we get the expansion since that time.

artis said:
If so far is so good then I have one more question,
so we come to the conclusion that the temperature at which decoupling of the CMB happens is 3000K and now in present day we see that the temperature is 2.7K,
Can we then estimate how long it took for the space to expand solely on this information , the decoupling temperature and the current temperature?

To estimate the time we need the Friedmann equation, which relates the expansion of the universe to the energy density. Solving the Friedmann equation gives the time for the expansion.

Likes PhanthomJay and artis
artis said:
unlike with stars the CMB doesn't have spectral lines

We actually can measure spectral lines in the CMB, just not with very high precision.

Likes artis
PeroK said:
If you find a spectrum that looks like hydrogen but is shifted, then you may infer that the radiation was produced by hydrogen and has been shifted
When you say like hydrogen but shifted , well radiation is radiation as you said it has wavelength and frequency so if you increase or decrease the frequency either above or below the characteristic spectra of an element I would assume you get close to the one for another element , so the deviation is small enough to be thought to be from the same element just doppler shifted?

PeroK said:
CMDB
Oh and by the way what is this?
Ok but to rephrase a bit differently , if we did not have our "standard candles" and some other measures if all we had was the CMB map from our few satellite missions as we have , could by the CMB alone we could extrapolate back in time , apart from knowing at which energy it decoupled from the opaque plasma because that we know simply from Hydrogen experiments and knowing that ordinary matter is mostly Hydrogen.
But this decoupling energy alone doesn't give us the redshift data for us to know the time that has passed? I mean suppose the universe began as per big bang theory , then decoupling happened and then say the universe expanded as much as it has but all at once and suddenly and then stopped , as long as it expanded the current amount the redshift of CMB would still be z=1100 as of today ?

Last edited:
@PeroK Ok I get the CMDB is CMB

artis said:
@PeroK Ok I get the CMDB is CMB
CMDB is Configuration Management Database. But, of course, in I meant CMB.

artis said:
When you say like hydrogen but shifted , well radiation is radiation as you said it has wavelength and frequency so if you increase or decrease the frequency either above or below the characteristic spectra of an element I would assume you get close to the one for another element , so the deviation is small enough to be thought to be from the same element just doppler shifted?

The hydrogen spectrum is a whole pattern of different characteristic wavelengths. You can look this up here for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series

artis said:
I mean suppose the universe began as per big bang theory , then decoupling happened and then say the universe expanded as much as it has but all at once and suddenly and then stopped , as long as it expanded the current amount the redshift of CMB would still be z=1100 as of today ?

The Friedmann equation alone can be used to estimate the age of the universe. But, of course, it's good to have data from the evolution of the universe that corroborates the predictions of the equation. The Friedmann equation should be able to join all the dots, as it were.

And, indeed, it's that data that pointed to the dark energy factor that is required in the Friedmann equation to explain the recent acceleration in the expansion rate.

PeroK said:
The hydrogen spectrum is a whole pattern of different characteristic wavelengths. You can look this up here for example:
Just to expand on this, @artis, Doppler shift is a multiplication - the shifted frequency, ##\nu'##, is related to the emitted frequency, ##\nu##, by ##\nu'=k\nu##, where ##k## is some frequency-independent number. In flat spacetime where Doppler only depends on relative velocity, $$k=\sqrt{\frac{c+v}{c-v}}$$In cosmology ##k## depends on distance, time, and extraordinary velocity (at least), but is still frequency-independent.

The spectrum of an element such as hydrogen is a sequence of spectral lines that is characteristic of the element. Meeasure the frequencies of hydrogen lines in the lab and you'll get some frequencies ##\nu_1##, ##\nu_2##, ##\nu_3##, etc. Measure them in a redshifted source and you'll get ##\nu'_1##, ##\nu'_2##, ##\nu'_3##, etc, which is different. But remember that ##\nu'=k\nu##. That means that ##\nu'_i/\nu'_1=k\nu_i/k\nu_1=\nu_i/\nu_1## for any ##i## - so we can recognise the ratios of the frequencies of the lines even when they're Doppler shifted.

Likes artis and PeroK

1. What is CMB creation and how does it happen?

CMB creation refers to the formation of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe. This radiation was created approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang, when the universe was still extremely hot and dense. As the universe expanded and cooled, this radiation was able to travel freely, creating a uniform glow in all directions.

2. How is the distance to the CMB measured?

The distance to the CMB is measured using a technique called redshift. This is based on the fact that as light travels through space, its wavelength is stretched due to the expansion of the universe. By measuring the amount of stretching, scientists can determine the distance to the CMB and therefore the age of the universe.

3. What is the significance of the CMB in understanding the universe?

The CMB is significant because it provides valuable information about the early universe. It is the oldest light in the universe and allows scientists to study the conditions and processes that occurred in the first moments after the Big Bang. The CMB also provides evidence for the Big Bang theory and supports the idea of an expanding universe.

4. How is the CMB used to study the structure of the universe?

By studying the CMB, scientists can learn about the large-scale structure of the universe. The CMB contains small temperature variations, which are the result of density fluctuations in the early universe. These fluctuations eventually grew into the galaxies and clusters of galaxies that we see today. By analyzing these variations, scientists can create maps of the distribution of matter in the universe and gain a better understanding of its structure.

5. Is the CMB the only way to measure the age of the universe?

No, the CMB is not the only way to measure the age of the universe. Other methods, such as measuring the expansion rate of the universe and the ages of the oldest stars, can also be used. However, the CMB is considered the most accurate and reliable method for determining the age of the universe.