CMOS to Microstrip Impedance Matching

In summary, the CMOS IC has an output impedance of 15 megaohms, which makes it difficult to transmit a signal over a 50 Ohm Microstrip line. A series resistor may be necessary to reduce the output impedance to something more manageable.
nlantz
I need to somehow take the output of a CMOS IC and transmit that signal over a 50 Ohm Microstrip line.
The output impedance of the CMOS IC is about 15 megaohms. I see a lot of examples for going from 75 ohms to 50 ohms or similar but nothing on something of this magnitude. Any ideas?

CMOS (High-Z) ---> ? ---> Microstrip (50 Ohm)

Engineering news on Phys.org
nlantz said:
I need to somehow take the output of a CMOS IC and transmit that signal over a 50 Ohm Microstrip line.
The output impedance of the CMOS IC is about 15 megaohms. I see a lot of examples for going from 75 ohms to 50 ohms or similar but nothing on something of this magnitude. Any ideas?

You are wrong. The input impedance of a CMOS IC is on the order of 15MΩ. The output impedance varies with the IC chosen, but I do not think you can achieve 50Ω. The closest you can get is probably something like this: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MC74AC245. Otherwise, consider using a bipolar pair between the CMOS and the microstrip.

nlantz said:

CMOS is a logic system, so it is a switch, not a linear source. The problem is similar to that of matching a Class C amplifier to a line. Is your frequency high enough that microstrip matching is necessary?

I suspect there is more to the original question but.. Have you tried a series resistor..

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~greenwd/xmsnLine_notes.pdf

Depending on what's at the other end of the line you may need to look at parallel termination at the destination.

Likes berkeman
Svein said:
The input impedance of a CMOS IC is on the order of 15MΩ. The output impedance varies with the IC chosen,
I thought that was wrong also. Unless the gate of the MOSFET is the output a high impedance output doesn't make sense. And the gate should never be the output. That's the output impedance that the company told me though. I am going to measure it myself when the evaluation kit comes in.
From my understanding of CMOS, the output should only be high-z for a very small time during a switch between states. And output impedance depends on the MOSFETs at the output and their configuration. Which is proprietary, hence why I asked the company.

tech99 said:
Is your frequency high enough that microstrip matching is necessary?
The system is operating at 2 Gb/s so we are on the threshold a bit. It's something that I am concerned about though. I am treating this as an RF system. If only so I don't look like a dummy at design review.

CWatters said:
I suspect there is more to the original question but.. Have you tried a series resistor..

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~greenwd/xmsnLine_notes.pdf

Depending on what's at the other end of the line you may need to look at parallel termination at the destination.
I haven't tried anything yet because the part is still in the mail. This looks like a good thought. Thanks for the link! I will look more into this.

nlantz said:
I thought that was wrong also. Unless the gate of the MOSFET is the output a high impedance output doesn't make sense. And the gate should never be the output. That's the output impedance that the company told me though. I am going to measure it myself when the evaluation kit comes in.
From my understanding of CMOS, the output should only be high-z for a very small time during a switch between states. And output impedance depends on the MOSFETs at the output and their configuration. Which is proprietary, hence why I asked the company.The system is operating at 2 Gb/s so we are on the threshold a bit. It's something that I am concerned about though. I am treating this as an RF system. If only so I don't look like a dummy at design review. I haven't tried anything yet because the part is still in the mail. This looks like a good thought. Thanks for the link! I will look more into this.
The CMOS device may have an "on" resistance of perhaps 100 ohms, but it might be better to swamp this out with a series resistor as it is not well defined. As the line cannot be much more than about 100 ohms, you will than need a shunt resistor as well to define the line driving impedance, maybe 50 ohms. So you end up with a potential divider and some loss.

tech99 said:
The CMOS device may have an "on" resistance of perhaps 100 ohms, but it might be better to swamp this out with a series resistor as it is not well defined. As the line cannot be much more than about 100 ohms, you will than need a shunt resistor as well to define the line driving impedance, maybe 50 ohms. So you end up with a potential divider and some loss.

Some loss is OK. The next stage is a stage is actually a step attenuator. I am estimating it will need to be at about 6dB nominally. I could just dial that back a bit and we would be fine.

nlantz said:
The system is operating at 2 Gb/s
What CMOS logic gate are you using to drive a 50 Ohm microstrip TL at this frequency?

Likes nlantz
berkeman said:
What CMOS logic gate are you using to drive a 50 Ohm microstrip TL at this frequency?

I don't have any info about the gates inside the IC.

nlantz said:

Having given it a bit more thought, I think it is only necessary, in order to prevent reflections, to match the receiving end of the line. This can be done with an attenuator, as you mention. At the sending end, the device is driving a low impedance, so it is possible it will exceed its ratings for dissipation and supply current. In such a case, it will be necessary to use a series resistor to bring the device within safe conditions. Check the overall loss due to the resistor (potential divider action) and the attenuator.

I think Berkeman meant which CMOS logic family? or is it some custom IC?

1. What is CMOS to Microstrip Impedance Matching?

CMOS to Microstrip Impedance Matching is a process used in electronic circuit design to match the impedance of a complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) integrated circuit (IC) to the impedance of a microstrip transmission line. This ensures efficient power transfer and minimizes signal reflections, thereby improving the overall performance of the circuit.

2. Why is impedance matching important in CMOS to Microstrip design?

Impedance matching is crucial in CMOS to Microstrip design because mismatched impedance can result in signal reflections, which can degrade the performance of the circuit. Matching the impedances ensures maximum power transfer and minimizes signal distortion, allowing for optimal circuit performance.

3. How is impedance matching achieved in CMOS to Microstrip design?

Impedance matching in CMOS to Microstrip design is achieved by adjusting the geometrical parameters of the microstrip transmission line, such as the width and thickness of the conductor, as well as the dielectric constant of the substrate. These parameters can be optimized using simulation tools or mathematical equations to achieve the desired impedance matching.

4. What factors affect impedance matching in CMOS to Microstrip design?

Several factors can affect impedance matching in CMOS to Microstrip design, including the dimensions and material properties of the microstrip transmission line, the operating frequency of the circuit, and the characteristics of the CMOS IC. It is important to consider all these factors in order to achieve optimal impedance matching.

5. What are the benefits of impedance matching in CMOS to Microstrip design?

Impedance matching offers several benefits in CMOS to Microstrip design, including improved signal quality, reduced signal reflections, and increased power transfer efficiency. It also helps to minimize losses and distortion, resulting in a more reliable and high-performance circuit.