CNC lathe questions (ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries)

• Thread starter bcojocneanu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to determine the operating time of two CNC horizontal lathes, one 1845SX and one 2460SX, in order to properly conduct maintenance procedures. The manual requires periodic flushing and draining of the Headstock oil every 1500-2000 hours, but the operator is unsure of the total operating time. The suggestion is made to wire an hour meter into the motor circuit to accurately track the hours of operation.
bcojocneanu
We have two CNC horizontal lathes, one 1845SX and one 2460SX. I am in process to write some maintenance procedures and I am interested how I can check the operating time this machines already have.
The operator does not know how to check the total operating time and the Operation Manual requires, for example, to flush and drain the Headstock oil every 1500-2000 hours. Is there a possibility to find how many hours this machines where in operation?
I am not a CNC "guru".
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bcojocneanu said:
We have two CNC horizontal lathes, one 1845SX and one 2460SX. I am in process to write some maintenance procedures and I am interested how I can check the operating time this machines already have.
The operator does not know how to check the total operating time and the Operation Manual requires, for example, to flush and drain the Headstock oil every 1500-2000 hours. Is there a possibility to find how many hours this machines where in operation?
I am not a CNC "guru".
Thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

Do you really have no way to estimate the number of hours on the machines? If you really have no idea, you probably should to all of the periodic maintenance (PM) procedures to establish a baseline, and start keeping better records.

http://www.southwesternindustries.com/product/trl-1845sx

Thank you "berkeman". It is exactly what I am going to do, with all manual and CNC machine tools.
I appreciated your prompt answer. All the best.

Wire an hour meter into the motor circuit. Hobbs meter for example.

1. What is a CNC lathe?

A CNC lathe is a machine tool that is used to shape and cut materials, such as metal or wood, into a desired shape or design. It is controlled by computer numerical control (CNC) technology, which allows for precise and automated movements of the cutting tool.

2. How does the ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system work?

The ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system is a type of CNC control system that is specifically designed for lathes. It works by using a combination of computer software and physical controls to program and control the movements of the lathe's cutting tool.

3. What are the advantages of using a CNC lathe?

There are several advantages to using a CNC lathe, including increased efficiency, accuracy, and consistency in the production process. CNC lathes also allow for more complex and intricate designs to be created, and can reduce the need for manual labor.

4. How do I program the ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system?

The ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system can be programmed using specialized software and a computer, or through the use of physical controls on the machine. There are also resources available, such as manuals and training courses, to help individuals learn how to program the system.

5. Can the ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system be used for different materials?

Yes, the ProtoTRAK Southwestern Industries system can be used for a variety of materials, including metals, plastics, and wood. However, the specific settings and programming may need to be adjusted depending on the material being used.