CO Combustion Reaction: What's the Chemical Reaction?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to chemistry and is building a carbon monoxide boiler in an oil refinery. They are looking for information on the chemical reaction and byproduct of burning CO, and are advised to search for information online. The person also mentions the importance of using specific materials to prevent reactions with CO at high temperatures.
btk87
TL;DR Summary
Looking for byproduct of burning CO
First time poster and also chemistry layman. I am starting on a new job building a carbon monoxide boiler in an oil refinery. As the construction contractor, we don't get into the operation/process of the equipment we build.

I have found online that CO becomes combustible at around 1400F. However, I haven't been able to find the chemical reaction for this process, and what the byproduct is.

Is anyone familiar with this reaction or can anyone point me to the correct literature?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Carbon monoxide burns in oxygen to produce carbon dioxide. I’m not sure what other information you want, but googling carbon monoxide combustion is probably a good start. Feel free to come back with more specific questions.

btk87 said:
Summary:: Looking for byproduct of burning CO

First time poster and also chemistry layman. I am starting on a new job building a carbon monoxide boiler in an oil refinery. As the construction contractor, we don't get into the operation/process of the equipment we build.

I have found online that CO becomes combustible at around 1400F. However, I haven't been able to find the chemical reaction for this process, and what the byproduct is.

Is anyone familiar with this reaction or can anyone point me to the correct literature?
I hope you are using nickel combustion chambers or ceramic ones as iron and its various steels react with CO at elevated temperatures. Even stainless reacts!

1. What is a CO combustion reaction?

A CO combustion reaction is a chemical reaction where carbon monoxide (CO) reacts with oxygen (O2) to produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and release energy in the form of heat and light.

2. What is the chemical equation for a CO combustion reaction?

The chemical equation for a CO combustion reaction is: CO + O2 → CO2 + energy

3. What are the products of a CO combustion reaction?

The products of a CO combustion reaction are carbon dioxide (CO2) and energy in the form of heat and light.

4. What are the applications of CO combustion reactions?

CO combustion reactions are used in various applications, including heating and cooking, power generation, and industrial processes such as steel production and oil refining.

5. How does a CO combustion reaction contribute to air pollution?

While CO combustion reactions are essential for many applications, they can also contribute to air pollution if not properly controlled. Incomplete combustion of CO can result in the release of harmful pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter.