CO2 Emissions, Gas Vs Electric

In summary, the conversation discusses the CO2 emissions of gas-powered and electric cars. It is mentioned that a kg of gas provides 13kWh of energy and emits 3.15 kg of CO2, while the US electric grid emits 0.386kg of CO2 per kWh. The efficiency of the ICE and emissions controls for fixed plants are factors that impact the overall emissions of electric cars. The conversation also compares the efficiency of a Chevrolet Bolt electric car and a similar size gasoline engine car, with the electric car being more efficient. The discussion concludes that electric cars can potentially have lower overall emissions, especially when recharged using renewable or nuclear power.
msumm21
TL;DR Summary
Some quick numbers at first look like BEVs pollute more than old ICE vehicles, wondering what I'm missing
I read that a kg of gas provides about 13kWh (47.5MJ) of energy and that burning a kg of gas emits about 3.15 kg of CO2. So presumably a gas-powered engine emits 3.15/13 or about .242kg of CO2 per kWh of work, right?

According to the EIA, the US electric grid emits about 0.85lb or 0.386kg of CO2 per kWh. So an electric motor powered by batteries charged on the grid would emit 0.386kg of CO2 per kWh.

Unless I messed up, this says a battery-electric vehicle (BEV) pollutes more than a gas powered car (per unit work). Is this true? If so, how does a BEV end up polluting less overall?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing two important things. The first is the efficiency of the ICE. That substantially increases the CO2 emitted per kWh for the ICE. The second is that fixed plants can be equipped with much better emissions controls. That is not as easy to estimate.

Likes Bandersnatch
Dale said:
The first is the efficiency of the ICE. That substantially increases the CO2 emitted per kWh for the ICE
I figured there was likely an inefficiency in ICE to explain some/all of this. I just read here that indeed only 40% of the energy created by an ICE powers the car forward. If true, this would increase the .242kg up to .605kg for ICE. If an electric motors is 90% efficient (numbers I found seem to vary a lot, so this may be way off?) then the .386 goes up to .429kg for BEV.

Also forgot to account for weight. A BEV is evidentially about 25% heaver and hence would require 25% more force to accelerate and overcome rolling resistance, so let's say this adds 20% to the work we're now at .515kg for the BEV. If electric cars have regenerative braking that would lower this again, but very unsure how much from reading around.

Dale said:
The second is that fixed plants can be equipped with much better emissions controls. That is not as easy to estimate.
I don't understand this. The EIA estimated 0.386kg of CO2 per kWh on the grid in that link. I assume this already takes everything into account, right? Are you saying that estimate doesn't include something significant?

No, I'm pretty sure it's already taken into account. That comment, however, can be seen as highlighting the fact that the EVs 'emissions' are only as polluting as the grid. Petrol is set in stone, and the efficiency of ICUs is unlikely to substantially improve. On the other hand, as the energy mix in the grid transitions towards greener sources, either fully renewable or with better emission controls, the per kWh emissions of EVs will keep going down.

Likes Dale
msumm21 said:
The EIA estimated 0.386kg of CO2 per kWh on the grid in that link. I assume this already takes everything into account, right? Are you saying that estimate doesn't include something significant?
I don’t know for sure what the EIA was estimating, so I am not sure if it is relevant to CO2. However, CO2 is not the only pollutant, and many of those other ones have much higher emissions per unit energy in a small vehicle power plant than a large fixed plant

A better comparison of gasoline vs electric cars uses real data. The Chevrolet Bolt has a 65 kWh battery and 259 mile EPA range. That divides out to 0.25 kWh per mile.

A similar size gasoline engine car will get about 35 MPG. Gasoline has about 116,000 BTU per gallon energy of combustion. Dividing the 116,000 BTU per gallon by 35 miles per gallon results in 3300 BTU per mile. Dividing that by 3412 BTU per kWh results in 0.97 kWh of gasoline per mile.

The electric car converts electric energy into distance driven four times better than the gasoline car converts fuel energy into distance driven.

Fossil fuel power plants range from 30% to 60% efficient depending on design, age, and maintenance. If the electric car is charged using only electricity from fossil fuel power plants, then the total energy consumption of the electric car is 0.25 kWh per mile divided by 0.30 to 0.60 = 0.42 to 0.83 kWh of fuel burned per mile driven. The electric car is more efficient than the gas car even if recharged by the oldest, least efficient, most poorly maintained power plant.

More than 42% of the electricity generated in the US is from renewable and nuclear power. See https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/assets/images/energy/us/Energy_US_2020.png for more details. Including this, along with average power plant efficiency, into the calculation makes electric cars look much better than gasoline when comparing total fuel efficiency. Good search terms to get more information on power plant efficiency are power plant efficiency.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and Dale

1. What is the difference between CO2 emissions from gas and electric vehicles?

Gas vehicles emit carbon dioxide (CO2) directly from their tailpipes, while electric vehicles do not emit any CO2 during operation. However, the production of electricity used to charge electric vehicles may emit CO2 depending on the source of the electricity.

2. Which type of vehicle has lower CO2 emissions overall?

Electric vehicles have lower CO2 emissions overall, even when factoring in the emissions from electricity production. This is because electric vehicles are more efficient at converting energy into motion, while gas vehicles waste a significant amount of energy through heat and friction.

3. How do CO2 emissions from gas and electric vehicles affect the environment?

CO2 emissions from gas vehicles contribute to the greenhouse effect and climate change. On the other hand, electric vehicles produce no direct emissions and can help reduce overall CO2 emissions, leading to a healthier environment.

4. Are there any other pollutants emitted from gas vehicles that electric vehicles do not emit?

Yes, gas vehicles emit pollutants such as nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter, which can have negative effects on human health and the environment. Electric vehicles do not emit these pollutants.

5. Can switching to an electric vehicle really make a difference in reducing CO2 emissions?

Yes, switching to an electric vehicle can make a significant difference in reducing CO2 emissions. Transportation is one of the largest sources of CO2 emissions, and transitioning to electric vehicles can help decrease these emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.