Coaxial semi-infinite solenoid and superconducting disc

According to Gauss's Theorem for the magnetic field, we have that the divergence of [tex]\displaystyle \textbf{B}[/tex] is equal to [tex]0[/tex]: the total magnetic field flux through a closed surface non-secanting the solenoid is zero. Applying Gauss's Theorem to a spherical collinear distribution to the solenoid with radius [tex]R[/tex] and centered on the center of the base of the multiple-winding coil, the total magnetic field across that surface is given by the difference between the flux [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_0 = \Phi_{inside}[/tex] of the magnetic field [tex]\displaystyle B_0 = B_{inside} = \mu_0 nI[/tex] at the centre of the sphere-solenoid and the flux [tex]\Phi_R[/tex] of the radial magnetic field [tex]B_R[/tex] through the coil.
The flux [tex]\Phi_0[/tex] is given by: [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_0 = B_0 S_{circle}[/tex], where [tex]\displaystyle S_{circle} = \pi r^2[/tex] is the surface of the superconducting loop. So: [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_0 = \mu_0 n \pi I r^2[/tex].
The flux [tex]\Phi_R[/tex] is given by: [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_R = B_R S_{sphere}[/tex], where [tex]\displaystyle S_{sphere} = 4 \pi R^2[/tex] is the surface of the sphere-solenoid. So: [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_R = B_R \cdot 4 \pi R^2[/tex].

So, we obtain:
[tex]\displaystyle \nabla \cdot \textbf{B}= 0[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_{tot} = 0[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_0 - \Phi_R = 0[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle \Phi_0 = \Phi_R[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle \mu_0 n \pi I r^2 = B_R \cdot 4 \pi R^2[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\displaystyle \boxed{B_R = \frac{\mu_0 n I r^2}{4 R^2}}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation for the flux $$\displaystyle \Phi_R = B_R 4\pi R^2$$ is valid only if ##B_R## constant everywhere on the surface of the sphere. That is clearly not the case here.
Hak said:
the total magnetic field flux through a closed surface non-secanting the solenoid is zero
The magnetic flux through any closed surface is zero regardless of whether you have a solenoid or where the surface is relative to it. That comes from the divergence of B being equal to zero. The flux that goes in must come out. The situation is different if you have an open surface, but you didn't specify one here. So ##\Phi_R=0.##

I do not believe that your arguments are correct.

kuruman said:
This equation for the flux $$\displaystyle \Phi_R = B_R 4\pi R^2$$ is valid only if ##B_R## constant everywhere on the surface of the sphere. That is clearly not the case here.

The magnetic flux through any closed surface is zero regardless of whether you have a solenoid or where the surface is relative to it. That comes the divergence of B being equal to zero. The flux the goes in must come out. The situation is different if you have an open surface, but you didn't specify one here. So ##\Phi_R=0.##

I do not believe that your arguments are correct.

You are absolutely right, but the good thing is that this is also the official solution. This really is a dilemma.

There is no dilemma. The official solution is incorrect. I suggest that you find another source of challenging problems.

Thank you, you have opened my eyes. It's not my fault, I thought Russian Olympiads were a good source of intriguing problems. If the official solutions are wrong, I would say it is very, very bad. Thank you for everything.

Likes kuruman