Cockroach & Centipedes -- How can the same pesticide be effective against both?

• Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of a pesticide against both cockroaches and centipedes, despite their different blood and lung systems. The speaker shares their experience of using the pesticide on a centipede and wondering how it could be effective against both insects. They suggest looking at the active ingredients in the pesticide and researching how they work, specifically targeting neurotransmitters which are shared among many invertebrates. The conversation also raises the question of what the best pesticide for centipedes is and what ingredients and target organ systems are involved.
chirhone
Cockroach and Centipede have different blood and lung systems. How can the same pesticide be effective against both?

My country is under lockdown. I saw a centipede in the restroom. Before I could step on it, it crawled into the gaps in the floor tiles near the wall. I sprayed Insecticide. I was only sure it would work on cockroaches. But why would it work on centipede too? What is the specific target organ, the mitochondrontia?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There are lots of different pesticides. Many use different mechanisms to kill things.
If you look at the ingredients list on the pesticide's container, you should be able to find the active ingredients.
Google that and find out how it works.
Some invertebrate pesticides work on neurotransmitters which are shared among many invertebrates.

Likes Evo
What is the best pesticide especially made against Centipede? I couldn't find this in google. What ingredients are involved and target organ systems in the Centipede? Anyone else?

1. How can the same pesticide be effective against both cockroaches and centipedes?

The same pesticide can be effective against both cockroaches and centipedes because they have similar physiological structures and behaviors. Both insects have a waxy outer layer that helps them retain moisture, and the pesticide can penetrate this layer and disrupt their internal systems.

2. Are cockroaches and centipedes resistant to pesticides?

Some cockroaches and centipedes may have developed resistance to certain pesticides due to overuse or improper application. However, there are many different types of pesticides available, and rotating between them can help prevent resistance from developing.

3. Can using the same pesticide against both insects lead to cross-resistance?

It is possible for cross-resistance to occur if the pesticide targets the same mechanism in both cockroaches and centipedes. This is why it is important to use a variety of pesticides with different active ingredients to prevent cross-resistance.

4. How long does the pesticide remain effective against cockroaches and centipedes?

The effectiveness of a pesticide can vary depending on the specific product and the severity of the infestation. In general, most pesticides will remain effective for several weeks after application, but it is important to follow the instructions on the label for reapplication if necessary.

5. Are there any natural alternatives to using pesticides against cockroaches and centipedes?

There are some natural alternatives to using pesticides against cockroaches and centipedes, such as diatomaceous earth, boric acid, and essential oils. However, these may not be as effective as traditional pesticides and may need to be reapplied more frequently. It is also important to note that natural does not always mean safe, and these alternatives should be used with caution.