Coefficient of restitution in different frames of references

In summary, when two objects collide in one dimension and 90% of kinetic energy is lost, the coefficient of restitution can be used to convert velocities between frames of reference. However, if the objects have a non-zero total momentum in the lab frame, there will always be a residual kinetic energy that needs to be accounted for in the calculations. Failure to do so can result in a significant difference between the expected and actual results.
Roman.G
To simplify my question I would like to use a random example (although, the issue holds regardless of the numbers you pick). Suppose two objects collide (head-on) in one dimension. The initial parameters are as follows (units are irrelevant):

m1=1;m2=2;u1=3;u2=-4;

Also, suppose that exactly 90% of the KE is lost as a result of the collision (hence, the coefficient of restitution is sqrt(0.9)). Now I can convert both velocities into the center-of-mass frame of reference, invert them, multiply by sqrt(0.9) and convert back into the lab frame of reference to get (one of the two solutions):

v1=-6.09384 and v2=-0.54692

The problem with these numbers is: if I keep everything in the lab frame of reference and plug all these numbers into these equations (where ε=0.9):

Untitled.png

their LHS is not equal to their RHS by quite a significant quantity.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Roman.G said:
their LHS is not equal to their RHS by quite a significant quantity.

What am I missing?
If the objects have a non-zero total momentum in the lab frame then the system as a whole will have residual kinetic energy based on total mass and velocity of the center of mass, even when the component objects have all come to rest with respect to each other. As long as mass and momentum are conserved, this kinetic energy cannot go away. The coefficient of restitution can be thought of as the fraction of kinetic energy retained during each collision above and beyond that residual amount which is always retained.

If you included that residual energy when multiplying by 0.9 then your calculations would result in an energy deficit of 0.1 times residual energy, compared with reality.

Likes nasu

1. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much energy is lost or conserved when two objects collide. It is usually represented by the symbol e and is a dimensionless number between 0 and 1.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution can be calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation (velocity of the objects after impact) by the relative velocity of approach (velocity of the objects before impact). This can be expressed as e = vseparation / vapproach.

3. How does the coefficient of restitution change in different frames of reference?

In different frames of reference, the coefficient of restitution remains the same. This is because it is a measure of the relative velocity between two objects, which is independent of the observer's frame of reference.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is affected by factors such as the material properties of the objects involved, their surface roughness, and the angle of impact. It is also dependent on the type of collision, whether it is elastic or inelastic.

5. Why is the coefficient of restitution important in physics?

The coefficient of restitution is important in physics because it helps us understand the conservation of energy and momentum in collisions. It is also used in various industries, such as sports and engineering, to optimize the performance and safety of objects in motion.