Two manned satellites approaching one another

• Thread starter Mariesa Yeoman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellites
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two manned satellites approaching each other and docking. The question asks for the final velocity and loss of kinetic energy in both the frame of reference where the first satellite was originally at rest and in the frame of reference where the second satellite was originally at rest. The relevant equations used are p1 + p2 = p'1 + p'2 and m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v'1 + m2v'2. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem using different equations but has not been successful. They have also expressed frustration with the difficulty of the problem and hope that someone will be able to provide a solution.
Mariesa Yeoman

Homework Statement

I have tried this several times, though I am going wrong someplace along the way. I have tried using these equations below but I cannot seem to get anywhere with it. I left the attempts below so that you may see what I have done, and maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Two manned satellites approaching one another at a relative speed of 0.100 m/s intend to dock. The first has a mass of 2.00 ✕ 103 kg, and the second a mass of 7.50 ✕ 103 kg. Assume that the positive direction is directed from the second satellite towards the first satellite.
(a) Calculate the final velocity after docking, in the frame of reference in which the first satellite was originally at rest.
(b) What is the loss of kinetic energy in this inelastic collision?
(c) Repeat both parts, in the frame of reference in which the second satellite was originally at rest.
final velocity
(d) loss of kinetic energy = ?

Homework Equations

p1 + p2 = p′1 + p′2
m1 v1 + m2 v2 = m1 v′1 + m2 v′2 .
To solve for v' is m1 * v1 = m1+m2 * v'
v1= initial velocity
v' = final velocity
m1 = 2000kg
m2 = 7500 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:
With the equation m2*v^2+m1+0 = (m1 +m2) * v ----> 7500kg * 0.100m/s + 0 = (9500kg) * v'
Attempt 2:
m1 * v1 = (m1 +m2)* v' rearranged to solve for v' ---> v' = m1 / m1+m2 * v1 =
plugging in my values led me to ---> v' = 2000kg / 2000kg + 7500kg *(v1) =0.02105263158 or 0.0210
I will leave the list here, I have many other attempts, since they are wrong I will spare you those details! Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to figure out what you are doing if you do not use parentheses to group quantities together.
For example v' = m1 / m1+m2 * v1 interpreted as stated would be $$v'=\frac{m_1}{m_1}+m_2v_1.$$ I am sure that's not what you meant to write. So please use parentheses or, even better, learn to use LaTeX (click on the link next to the question mark lower left above "Forums" link)

No it is not what I meant. also none of what you have written is what I intended.
Let me be perfectly clear:
v' = m1 / (m1 + m2) * v1 This is the equation I attempted to use, NONE of these equations are giving me the correct answer. The chapter is on elastic and inelastic equations, and I have listed all the information (using the template given by the site). This is the first time someone has had any issue understanding the question. I am sorry you didn't get it. I feel your message was borderline rude? I am just on here trying to learn this stuff like many others. We are not all savvy to the level that the advisors are and sometimes do not have perfectly written questions, because we haven't learned. Hopefully, someone out there WILL be able to help me and if you cannot that's okay! It's not a problem, just leave it for someone else to answer?
Have a wonderful rest of your day,
M

Mariesa Yeoman said:
No it is not what I meant. also none of what you have written is what I intended.
Let me be perfectly clear:
v' = m1 / (m1 + m2) * v1 This is the equation I attempted to use, NONE of these equations are giving me the correct answer. The chapter is on elastic and inelastic equations, and I have listed all the information (using the template given by the site). This is the first time someone has had any issue understanding the question. I am sorry you didn't get it. I feel your message was borderline rude? I am just on here trying to learn this stuff like many others. We are not all savvy to the level that the advisors are and sometimes do not have perfectly written questions, because we haven't learned. Hopefully, someone out there WILL be able to help me and if you cannot that's okay! It's not a problem, just leave it for someone else to answer?
Have a wonderful rest of your day,
M
My intention is to help you, not to be rude. You also have to understand that all of us here spend time to provide help freely because we believe in what we are doing. Before helping you however, I need to understand what's on your mind and what you did. Therefore it is not rude to ask for clarifications or to explain to you why what you posted is not clear. You are not expected to be savvy, just be clear. So let's try again, and if you are not satisfied with my help, you can always fire me.

You say you used the equation v' = m1 / (m1 + m2) * v1 which would be better written as v1=m1*v1/(m1+m2). Then it is clear that v1 multiplies the numerator in the fraction. That's fine. That's the correct equation to use but how did you use it and for what part? You do not mention that anywhere so I have to guess that it is for part (a), but if it's for part (a) what is v1? The problem specifies that the first satellite has mass m1 = 2000 kg. So you write the equation m1 v1 + 0 =(m1+m2)v'. Saying so assumes that v2 = 0. Part (a) asks you to find the final velocity in the frame of reference in which satellite 1 was initially at rest. If it's initially at rest and its mass is 2000 kg, then its initial momentum should be 2000*0 = 0, no? It's satellite 2 that's moving in that frame.

You also say "This is the equation I attempted to use, NONE of these equations are giving me the correct answer." What other equations did you use? You do not say, so how can anyone point out to you whether they are correct and/or whether you have used them correctly? I hope you understand now the importance of being as clear as you can to help us help you. We are not mind readers. As for me, like I said, you can always fire me.

Last edited:
I can't see why your second attempt is wrong, except for the fact that the velocity should be negative, since the positive direction is directed from the second satellite towards the first, and our frame of reference is that in which the first satellite is at rest.
The ratio of kinetic energy between then and before the colision is given by ##\frac{KE_{f}}{KE_{i}} =\frac{ \frac{1}{2}(m_{1}+m_{2})[\frac{m_{1}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}v_{1}]^2}{\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v_{1}^2}=\frac{m_{1}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}##

1. What are the potential risks of two manned satellites approaching one another?

The potential risks of two manned satellites approaching one another include collisions, damage to equipment, and danger to the astronauts on board. Collision can cause debris to scatter in space, which can be hazardous to other satellites and spacecraft. Damage to equipment can lead to malfunctions or loss of communication. And the astronauts could be exposed to dangerous levels of radiation or lack of oxygen if their spacecraft is damaged.

2. How do scientists monitor the distance between two manned satellites?

Scientists use various methods to monitor the distance between two manned satellites. One method is using radar or laser tracking systems to measure the distance between the two satellites. Another method is using onboard sensors that can detect the position and movement of the other satellite. Scientists also use mathematical models to predict the trajectory of the satellites and estimate their distance from each other.

3. What happens if two manned satellites get too close to each other?

If two manned satellites get too close to each other, there is a high risk of collision. This can cause damage to the satellites and put the astronauts at risk. In this situation, mission control will likely intervene and make adjustments to the satellites' trajectories to prevent a collision. If the satellites are unable to move, the astronauts may have to evacuate to a safer location.

4. How do scientists coordinate the movements of two manned satellites?

Scientists coordinate the movements of two manned satellites through careful planning and communication. Before launch, engineers calculate the trajectories of the satellites to ensure they will not come too close to each other. During the mission, astronauts and mission control teams communicate to adjust the satellites' movements if necessary. Advanced technologies, such as automated rendezvous and docking systems, also help with coordinating the movements of the satellites.

5. What are the challenges of two manned satellites approaching one another?

Two manned satellites approaching one another pose several challenges. One of the main challenges is ensuring the safety of the astronauts onboard. This requires precise monitoring and coordination of the satellites' movements. Another challenge is the potential impact on other spacecraft and satellites in the vicinity. Scientists must carefully plan and execute the approach to minimize any risks. Additionally, the technical aspects of maintaining a safe distance, such as fuel consumption and communication, can also be challenging.