A mass m1 moving with u collides with mas m2...

In summary, the fraction of energy converted into heat and sound when a mass m1 collides with a stationary mass m2 is equal to the initial kinetic energy in the center of mass reference frame. However, this result only holds if there is no elasticity in the system.
Vriska

Homework Statement

A mass m1 collides with stationary m2 with velocity u1 u. Find the fraction of energy converted into heat and sound. Show that this energy is equal to the kinetic energy from centre of mass reference frame

Homework Equations

[/B]
let v1 and v2 be velocity of m1 and m2 after collision :

e = v2-v1/u1

m1u1 = m1v1 + m1v1

ke = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

let k be energy by sound and heat.

m1(u1-v1) = m2v2 (1)

m1u1^2 - m1v1^2 = k + m2v2^2

= m1(u1+v1) (u1-v1)

dividing by 1

u1+v1 = k/m2v2 + v2

u1 = k/m2v2 + v2 - v1

1 = k/(m2v2u1) + e

(1-e)*m2v2u1 = k

annnd stuck. this is the farthest I've gotten and doesn't look like velocity from com reference frame at all : (going further the ratio with initial ke is

(1-e)*m2/m1*v2/u1 which ia nice and symmetric i guess. but i guess it wants me to do stuff and rid off v2 and end up with an ugly expression. I don't think that's right

Physics news on Phys.org
Vriska said:
Show that this energy is equal to the kinetic energy from centre of mass reference frame
Based on that, I presume you were told that the masses stick together?
Vriska said:
m1u1^2 - m1v1^2 = k + m2v2^2
Should be 2k?

What is the initial KE in the common mass centre reference frame?

haruspex said:
Based on that, I presume you were told that the masses stick together?

Should be 2k?

What is the initial KE in the common mass centre reference frame?

right it's 2k.

initial ke looks to be
: m1m2* u^2/2(m1+m2). The final will be u replaced by ku i guess.

no mention is given about the elasticity of the system : \

Vriska said:
no mention is given about the elasticity of the system : \
The result you are asked to prove will not be true if there is any elasticity. There will remain some KE.

haruspex said:
The result you are asked to prove will not be true if there is any elasticity. There will remain some KE.

damn i was trying this all day : (

but then shouldn't my answer have m1^2 instead of m1m2?

Anyway here's the question in case I'm misreading something

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171025-174606.png
    Screenshot_20171025-174606.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 434
Vriska said:
shouldn't my answer have m1^2 instead of m1m2?
It should not have v2. Use the equations you have to eliminate that and see what happens.

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity after a collision between two masses?

The formula for calculating the final velocity (v) after a collision between two masses (m1 and m2) is: v = (m1u1 + m2u2) / (m1 + m2), where u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of m1 and m2, respectively.

2. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy after the collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision.

3. How do you determine the direction of the final velocities after a collision?

The direction of the final velocities after a collision can be determined by considering the conservation of momentum. The final velocities will be in the same direction as the initial velocities if the masses are traveling in the same direction, and in opposite directions if the masses are traveling in opposite directions.

4. Can the final velocities after a collision be greater than the initial velocities?

No, the final velocities after a collision cannot be greater than the initial velocities. This is because of the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass of an object affects the outcome of a collision by determining how much momentum it has. A larger mass will have a greater amount of momentum, and therefore will cause a larger change in velocity to the other object involved in the collision. In addition, the ratio of the masses will also affect the final velocities, as seen in the formula for calculating the final velocity.