Coefficient of static friction calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the coefficient of static friction for a box on a horizontal plane. The given data includes the mass of the box, height, and width. The equation μs = Ff/N is used, along with the relationship between F and Ff, to determine the coefficient of static friction. The conversation also addresses a mistake in one of the equations and clarifies the correct equation to use. Eventually, the conversation concludes with a calculation of the coefficient of static friction, which is approximately 0.32.
Tepictoc

Homework Statement

I have a box on a horizontal plane.
Given data: mass = 0.25kg
height of object = 14 cm
width of object = 9cm
Calculate the coefficient of static friction.

Homework Equations

μs = Ff/N (N is the normalforce)
F = Ff = μ*N
mg = 2.45 Newton

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply an unknown force on the object from the left side at the height of x to see where it starts to tip over instead of slide. Looks like it's at 13 cm. x = 13

The vertical forces:
N cancels out mg since the object is not accelerating up or down, so N=mg.
μk is irrelevant in this case so I'll just write μ when I mean μs.

The horizontal forces:
Ff is acting in the opposite direction of the applied Force
F = Ff = μ*N
L is the length to the middle 4.5cm
mg*L - F*x = 0
I substitute in μ*mg instead where F*x is
mg*L - μ*mg = 0

This is where I think I might be going wrong:
μ = mg*L/mg
μ = L
Which would mean the coefficient of static friction is 4.5 or 0.45 which is too high.
When I angle (at 12 degrees) the same object on the same surface and calculate the μs it became 0.21

If I go this way it's slightly better but probably wrong since one m disappears:
μ = mg*L/g = 0.24

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm..
Remember that the forces that generally generate torques about the tipping point are:
The unknown horizontal force, gravity, and the normal force.
The frictional force act along the ground and generates no torque at all about the tipping point.

The box begins to tip when a) The normal force acts through the tipping point (generating no torque), and there is an equal, but opposite torque from the force F and gravity.

From this relation, you may determine F, and thus the coefficient for maximal static friction.

This equation "mg*L - μ*mg = 0" is dead wrong, your first term is a torque, the other a force

It should read mgL=(mu)*mg*x, that is: (mu)=L/x, roughly 0.35 by my reckoning.

arildno said:
Hmm..
Remember that the forces that generally generate torques about the tipping point are:
The unknown horizontal force, gravity, and the normal force.
The frictional force act along the ground and generates no torque at all about the tipping point.

The box begins to tip when a) The normal force acts through the tipping point (generating no torque), and there is an equal, but opposite torque from the force F and gravity.

From this relation, you may determine F, and thus the coefficient for maximal static friction.

This equation "mg*L - μ*mg = 0" is dead wrong, your first term is a torque, the other a force

It should read mgL=(mu)*mg*x, that is: (mu)=L/x, roughly 0.35 by my reckoning.

Thanks a lot, that helps me.
The equation "mg*L - μ*mg = 0" was what my teacher wrote down for me when he was trying to help. First we have
mg*L - F*x = 0
and as mentioned earlier F = Ff = μ*N and N=mg
that's how I got the "dead wrong equation". He was using it to separate μ.

It is unfortunate that your teacher made that silly mistake. It is easy to do this sort of thing, and should not be held against him (unless he has a general tendency to mix up forces and torques)

F*x=(mu)mg*x, agreed?

Likes 1 person
arildno said:
It is unfortunate that your teacher made that silly mistake. It is easy to do this sort of thing, and should not be held against him (unless he has a general tendency to mix up forces and torques)

F*x=(mu)mg*x, agreed?

Agreed.
I did some testing and I would get the same μs on the angled surface test as in the horizontal test if I applied the force at 14 cm. That is μs = 0.32

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when there is no relative motion between them. It is denoted by the symbol μs.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the angle at which an object just begins to slide down a ramp.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is influenced by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, their roughness, the amount of force applied, and the temperature. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. What are some common applications of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the maximum angle at which a car can travel up a hill without slipping, calculating the force needed to move an object on a flat surface, and designing brakes for vehicles.

5. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction represents the resistance to motion between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other, while the coefficient of kinetic friction represents the resistance to motion when there is relative motion between the two surfaces. The coefficient of static friction is generally higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.