Coefficient of Static Friction = tan (angle of incline)

In summary: If you were to add more mass to the block, then the force balance would be$$Mg+mg\sin{\theta} = F \geq mg\mu cos{\theta}$$and the coefficient of friction would no longer hold.
lem0ncheezcake

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that the coefficient of static friction is equal to the tan of the angle of incline. (You can find the proof of this from )

I set the angle of incline as my independent variable and had an angle range from 10 to 37.5 degrees. After setting the slope to different angles, I measured the extra force required to cause the wooden block to begin to move on the slope. I did this by connecting a string to the wooden block and to a container that could be filled with sand (using a pulley to connect them).

Homework Equations

μ = (mg sin(θ) + Mg)/(mg cos (θ))

where m is the mass of the wooden block and M is the mass of the handing container and sand.

This simplifies down to μ = tanθ + M/(m cosθ)

However, it is also known that μ = tanθ

Equating the two equations we get tanθ + M/(m cosθ) = tanθ, which is impossible. Can anyone explain what I've down wrong here?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried manipulating the equation,

M/(m cosθ) = μ - tanθ

=> M = μmcosθ - msinθ

=> M = m(μcosθ - sinθ)

Ultimately, I aim to draw a graph which shows μ = tanθ, however, with the values I obtained so far, no such graph can be drawn.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello LCC, :welcome:

Nice experiment ! Well described in this your first post, kudos !
lem0ncheezcake said:
to cause the wooden block to begin to move on the slope
Sounds like you filled until m started to move upwards along the slope. am I right ? If so, do ##\mu m g \cos\theta## and ##mg\sin\theta## point in opposite directions, as your equation suggests ?

BvU said:
Hello LCC, :welcome:

Nice experiment ! Well described in this your first post, kudos !
Sounds like you filled until m started to move upwards along the slope. am I right ? If so, do ##\mu m g \cos\theta## and ##mg\sin\theta## point in opposite directions, as your equation suggests ?

Hi BvU,

Yes, you got the idea right, except I set it up so that m could start to move downwards along the slope.

I am not sure to be honest. I do know however, mgcosθ and mgsinθ are perpendicular to each other because they represent the vertical and horizontal components of force due to the weight of m. Does this help?

lem0ncheezcake said:
However, it is also known that μ = tanθ
This is for the situation as in the video when there is no extra force involved !
lem0ncheezcake said:
I set it up so that m could start to move downwards
Ok, so your μ = tanθ + M/(m cosθ) has the right sign and you have a set of observations of M as a function of ##\theta##. You can investigate if ##\mu## depends on ##\theta## (*). But if you want to show that ##\mu = \tan\theta## directly, you'll have to find a way to vary ##\mu## and work with M = 0.

(*)
##\mu = \tan\theta## doesn't mean that ##\mu## varies with ##\theta##; it means that the angle at which sliding is about to start has a tangent with a value that is equal to ##\mu##.

Likes lem0ncheezcake
If the pulley is at the top of the incline and you are adding mass M to try to pull the block up the incline, then the force balance on the block is
$$Mg-mg\sin{\theta} = F \leq mg\mu cos{\theta}$$where F is the friction force. So, the coefficient of friction satisfies the inequality
$$ \mu \geq \frac{M}{m}\sec{\theta}-\tan{\theta} $$and M satisfies the inequality:
$$M\leq m(\sin{\theta} + \mu cos{\theta})$$
The equal sign applies when the block is just on the verge of sliding.

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the maximum amount of friction that exists between two surfaces before they start to slide against each other. It is denoted by the symbol µs.

How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force exerted on an object. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the angle at which an object begins to slide down an inclined plane.

What does the term "tan (angle of incline)" mean in relation to static friction?

The term "tan (angle of incline)" refers to the tangent of the angle of incline of an object on an inclined surface. This angle is used in the calculation of the coefficient of static friction because it affects the amount of force needed to keep the object from sliding down the incline.

What factors can affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by factors such as the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the temperature of the surfaces. Additionally, the coefficient of static friction can vary between different materials.

Why is the coefficient of static friction important in engineering and physics?

The coefficient of static friction is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects on inclined surfaces. It is also essential in designing structures and machines that rely on friction to function properly, such as brakes and tires on vehicles.