Coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution of neurons in C elegans

In summary, the conversation discusses a study by Milo et al comparing the distribution of neural network motifs in C. elegans to a random distribution. This distribution is considered significant if it is overrepresented compared to the random set, indicating evolutionary pressure. Artzy-Randrup et al comment that the study did not control for spatial distribution, which could be a confounding factor. Milo's rebuttal is that the spatial distribution of neurons is a significant aspect of the results and provides more insight into the study. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the current state of this research and whether there are other factors to consider.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
1) Original Article:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/298/5594/824.short

2) Comment on Article:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/305/5687/1107.3.full

3) Rebuttal:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/305/5687/1107.4.full

Summary of above:

1) Original authors (Milo, et al) create a random distribution of neural network motifs and compare it to the distribution of networks in C. elegans. Any distribution that is significantly over represented compared to the random set is declared significant (result of evolutionary pressure).

2) Artzy-Randrup, et al say 'well, you didn't control for a true null-hypothesis, you didn't factor out spatial distribution. neurons form networks with other neurons that are spatially close.'

3) The rebuttal from Milo is that the spatial distribution of the neurons is a significant aspect of the results of the selection that results in this overrepresentation.

Just curious what the PF Biology expert opinions are. I tend to side with Milo here, but I'm naive. To me, knowing spatial distribution is a priori knowledge, just like any other. If we have a mechanism for WHY a nertwork motif is over-represented (i.e. spatial distribution) that that just gives us more insight, it doesn't negate the study.

What do you think? Is there a spandrelly story to spatial distribution of neurons that I'm not considering?

Biology news on Phys.org
The links still appear to be okay. @Pythagorean are there updates that should be here?

Wow, reallly going back now. My brain cells have completely turned over since this post, I have no idea of the current state of this research.

We'll lock it and note that it lacks current work.

1. How does the spatial distribution of neurons in C elegans impact its behavior?

The spatial distribution of neurons in C elegans is highly organized and plays a critical role in its behavior. The specific arrangement of neurons allows for efficient and coordinated communication between different areas of the nervous system, ultimately influencing the worm's movements and responses to stimuli.

2. What factors influence the synaptic distribution of neurons in C elegans?

The synaptic distribution of neurons in C elegans is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetic programming, environmental cues, and interactions with other neurons. These factors can impact the strength and number of connections between neurons, which in turn can affect the worm's behavior and ability to adapt to its surroundings.

3. How does the coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution in C elegans contribute to its survival?

The coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution in C elegans allows for efficient and precise neural communication, which is crucial for the worm's survival. This coordinated distribution of neurons helps the worm to respond quickly and appropriately to changes in its environment, increasing its chances of survival.

4. How does C elegans compare to other organisms in terms of its coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution?

C elegans is unique in that its nervous system is relatively simple, yet highly organized. This allows for a more direct study of the relationship between spatial and synaptic distribution in this organism. However, similar patterns of coevolution have been observed in other organisms, suggesting that this is a common phenomenon in the evolution of nervous systems.

5. What implications does the coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution in C elegans have for our understanding of neural development and function?

The coevolution of spatial and synaptic distribution in C elegans has significant implications for our understanding of neural development and function. It provides valuable insights into how the nervous system adapts and evolves in response to environmental factors, and how different aspects of neural organization work together to influence behavior. This knowledge can also inform our understanding of more complex nervous systems, including those of humans.