Coexistence of Solid and Liquid Matter: Conditions for Existing One Phase?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a material existing in only one state, with examples of extreme cases such as a cloud of neutrinos and dark matter. It is argued that under certain conditions, a material may not fit into traditional states of matter classification. The question of what state a single atom would be in is also raised.
fxdung
I think in solid or liquid phase, there are many molecule having a very large speed due to random character in moving.So the liquid or solid matter must co-exist with other phase because some molecules escape from surface of solid or liquid matter.Then is there any condition for existing only one phase of solid or liquid?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
fxdung said:
Then is there any condition for existing only one phase of solid or liquid?
Perhaps it's just me but I find your question somewhat incoherent. Are you asking if there is a material that always, under all conditions of temperature and pressure, exists in only one state? If so, then no, I don't think that could be possible.

phinds said:
Perhaps it's just me but I find your question somewhat incoherent. Are you asking if there is a material that always, under all conditions of temperature and pressure, exists in only one state? If so, then no, I don't think that could be possible.
One might consider that a cloud of neutrinos is always a gas.

But when you start looking for extreme cases like this, the classification scheme that you are trying to use tends to lose meaning.

Likes phinds
jbriggs444 said:
One might consider that a cloud of neutrinos is always a gas.
Dark matter as well.

But when you start looking for extreme cases like this, the classification scheme that you are trying to use tends to lose meaning.
Also a good point.

I have a single atom. What state is it in?

Vanadium 50 said:
I have a single atom. What state is it in?
Ohio?

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, phinds and Ibix

1. What is the coexistence of solid and liquid matter?

The coexistence of solid and liquid matter refers to the state in which both solid and liquid phases of a substance exist at the same time and under the same conditions.

2. What conditions are necessary for the coexistence of solid and liquid matter?

The conditions for the coexistence of solid and liquid matter include a specific temperature and pressure range, as well as the presence of both solid and liquid phases of the substance in question.

3. What is the phase diagram of a substance and how does it relate to the coexistence of solid and liquid matter?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the different phases of a substance at various temperatures and pressures. It shows the conditions under which the coexistence of solid and liquid matter can occur.

4. Can the coexistence of solid and liquid matter exist at any temperature and pressure?

No, the coexistence of solid and liquid matter can only exist within a specific temperature and pressure range, known as the coexistence region. Outside of this region, the substance will exist in either the solid or liquid phase only.

5. What factors can affect the conditions for the coexistence of solid and liquid matter?

The conditions for the coexistence of solid and liquid matter can be affected by factors such as impurities in the substance, external pressure, and changes in temperature. Additionally, the composition and properties of the substance itself can also impact the coexistence region.