Coil simulation with Maxwell

In summary, the author is trying to simulate a coil with Maxwell and transient solution type, but they don't seem to be achieving the desired results. They have two problems: the frequency is too high and the inductance is too low.
azita3285
hello every one

i want too simulate a coil with with Maxwell and transient solution type:
this coil is in a paper and i want to simulate it

i attach the coil properties. in this paper the dimension of coil is given such:

diameret:12cm; length=84cm; moment=30a-m^2; construction= 16 turns AWG#12; coil voltage=65Vrms=91Vpeak; frequency=575hz; depth rating=30m
and @ 50 meter from this antenna we have 8pT signal

i calculate the equivalent circuit:
you know the AWG#12 diameter is 2.053mm and has 5.211 mohm/m, and as we say, the coil voltage is 91v, so we have:

Rcoil=30.85mohm; Lcoil=.15mH

i simulate the coil with the thickness of 2.053 which is the same of diameter of wire.
so i simulate it with two type of winding (voltage and external)

1) in voltage type i fill in the blanks such these:
initial current=0 ; resistance=30.85mohm, inductance=.15mH , voltage=91*cos(2*pi*575*time)
i run this but i don't achieve the 8pT signal @ 50 meter from antenna. i attache it by the name of coil with voltage

2) external: in this type i create an external circuit with maxwel circuit editor and import it in the maxwell. i attach the circuit and the maxwell simulation with the names of circuit and coil with external circuit.

i run this but i don't achieve the 8pT signal @ 50 meter from antenna.

another question is that what value i have to select for the resistance which is series with the sinusoidal source? this value has deep effect in my result.
please help me and suggest me some solution, i don;t have time and i have to simulate it :( :(
thank you

Attachments

• circuit.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 217
  • coil properties.zip
    95.3 KB · Views: 234
  • coil with voltage.zip
    28 KB · Views: 221
  • coil with external.zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
azita3285 said:
construction= 16 turns AWG#12; coil voltage=65Vrms=91Vpeak; frequency=575hz;
azita3285 said:
Rcoil=30.85mohm; Lcoil=.15mH
That inductance at 575Hz has a very low reactance (sub-Ohm). Are you sure the frequency isn't more like 575kHz? That construction with so few turns with that large excitation voltage don't seem to line up, IMO.

1. What is "Coil simulation with Maxwell" and why is it important?

"Coil simulation with Maxwell" refers to using the Maxwell software to simulate the behavior of coils, which are used in many electrical and electronic devices. This simulation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the performance of coils without having to physically build and test them, saving time and resources.

2. What types of coils can be simulated with Maxwell?

Maxwell can simulate a wide range of coils, including solenoids, toroidal coils, and air core coils. It can also simulate coils made of different materials, such as copper, aluminum, or superconductors.

3. How does Maxwell simulate coils?

Maxwell uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate coils. This involves dividing the coil into smaller elements and using mathematical equations to calculate the electromagnetic fields and forces within each element. The results are then combined to create a full simulation of the coil's behavior.

4. What parameters can be analyzed in a coil simulation with Maxwell?

Maxwell's coil simulation can analyze a variety of parameters, including inductance, resistance, capacitance, and magnetic flux density. It can also simulate the effects of different operating conditions, such as varying currents or changing temperatures.

5. How accurate are the results from a coil simulation with Maxwell?

The accuracy of the results from a coil simulation with Maxwell depends on the accuracy of the inputs and assumptions used in the simulation. However, in general, Maxwell's simulations are very accurate and can closely match real-world measurements. Validation tests have shown that the results from Maxwell's simulations are typically within a few percentage points of actual measurements.