Guessing a coin toss correctly

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
This is the sum of the terms in your formula.In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of correctly guessing at least k out of n coin tosses with a biased coin with heads probability p, as well as the expected number of correct guesses. The guesser's strategy and knowledge of the bias are also considered. It is noted that the probability of guessing correctly is 1/2 regardless of the bias if the guesser is equally likely to choose heads or tails.
member 428835
Given ##n## coin tosses of a biased coin with heads probability ##p##, what is the probability of guessing correctly ##k\leq n## or more? I think this is ##\sum_{i=k}^{n}C^n_{n-i}p^i(1-p)^{n-i}## but this can't be correct since it is not symmetric for ##p## vs ##1-p##. Also, what's the expected number of correct guesses we would predict the guesser to guess correctly? Sure feels something like ##np(1-p)##, but I dunno.

But now let's suppose the guesser knows there will be exactly ##k## heads tossed (##n-k## tails). In this case what would the odds of a correct guess be? We know there are ##C^n_k## different ways to arrange the heads/tails.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Given ##n## coin tosses of a biased coin with heads probability ##p##, what is the probability of guessing correctly ##k\leq n## or more? I think this is ##\sum_{i=k}^{n}nC{n-i}p^i(1-p)^{n-i}## but this can't be correct since it is not symmetric for ##p## vs ##. Also, what's the expected number of correct guesses we would predict the guesser to guess correctly? Sure feels something like ##np(1-p)##, but I dunno.

But now let's suppose the guesser knows there will be exactly ##k## heads tossed (##n-k## tails). In this case what would the odds of a correct guess be? We know there are ##nCk## different ways to arrange the heads/tails.

Thanks for any insight!
It depends on what the guesser does. To make progress I'll assume that if p > 0.5 then to maximize the score the guesser guesses heads every time. The average correct guesses will then be np.

You seem to assume that the guesser must guess heads exactly half the time. Then the average is np/2 + n(1-p)/2 = (np+n-np)/2 = n/2. Kind of surprising.

Likes PeroK and member 428835
joshmccraney said:
But now let's suppose the guesser knows there will be exactly ##k## heads tossed (##n-k## tails). In this case what would the odds of a correct guess be? We know there are ##C^n_k## different ways to arrange the heads/tails.
You have an unknown arrangement of ##k## heads and ##n-k## tails. Assuming all such arrangements are equally likely (e.g. if you toss a fair or biased coin ##n## times and happen to get ##k## heads), then the best you can do is guess one of these possible arrangements.

Likes Hornbein
joshmccraney said:
Given ##n## coin tosses of a biased coin with heads probability ##p##, what is the probability of guessing correctly ##k\leq n## or more? I think this is ##\sum_{i=k}^{n}C^n_{n-i}p^i(1-p)^{n-i}## but this can't be correct since it is not symmetric for ##p## vs ##1-p##.
Take one biased coin toss, where the guesser does not know it's biased and is equally likely to guess heads or tails. The probability of guessing correctly is ##\frac 1 2 p + \frac 1 2 (1-p) = \frac 1 2##. Kind of amusing!

joshmccraney said:
Given ##n## coin tosses of a biased coin with heads probability ##p##, what is the probability of guessing correctly ##k\leq n## or more?
  • What does this mean:
    • Tossing a biased coin ## n ## times and guessing heads or tails correctly at least ## k ## times?
    • Predicting correctly that there are at least ## k ## heads in ## n ## tosses?
    • Something else?
  • Does the guesser know the bias?
  • Why do you think any answer would be interesting?
joshmccraney said:
But now let's suppose the guesser knows there will be exactly ##k## heads tossed (##n-k## tails). In this case what would the odds of a correct guess be?
This is not very well thought through: there is no single "odds of a correct guess", for instance the guesser can always "guess" the ## n ##th toss with 100% certainty (if there have already been ## k ## heads it must be tails).

PeroK said:
Take one biased coin toss, where the guesser does not know it's biased and is equally likely to guess heads or tails. The probability of guessing correctly is ##\frac 1 2 p + \frac 1 2 (1-p) = \frac 1 2##. Kind of amusing!
It's not so surprising, for this reason:
Suppose you have already tossed a coin (fair or not) and got a head. At that point P(head)=1 and P(tail)=0, so it is about as unfair as it can be. Yet the probability of guessing correctly (head) is 1/2, simply because that is assumed to be how the guessing is done.

Likes PeroK
Standard odds a:b definition is related to probabability by $$ a:b \rightarrow \frac{a}{a+b} $$, so that,
e.g., 1:1 odds correspond to a probability of 1/2; odds of 2:1 correspond to 1/(1+2)=1/3, etc.

In your case, the probability is the sum of the probabilities of all such events.

1. How likely is it to guess a coin toss correctly?

The likelihood of guessing a coin toss correctly is 50%, as there are only two possible outcomes - heads or tails.

2. Is there a strategy to improve the chances of guessing a coin toss correctly?

No, there is no strategy that can improve the chances of guessing a coin toss correctly. It is purely a matter of chance.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the outcome of guessing a coin toss correctly?

No, the outcome of guessing a coin toss correctly is completely random and not affected by any external factors.

4. Can a person consistently guess a coin toss correctly?

No, it is not possible for a person to consistently guess a coin toss correctly as it is a random event.

5. What is the significance of guessing a coin toss correctly in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, guessing a coin toss correctly may be used as a control or baseline for comparison to other outcomes. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of probability and randomness.