Coke physics (ice and pressure)

In summary, an expert found that if you have enough pressure on a soda bottle it will not freeze, even in very cold temperatures.
LostConjugate
Funny thing just happened. I left my coke in the freezer, expecting the bottle to be busted I found that it wasn't even frozen at all. Liquid all the way through. Figured it was that new fake sugar chemical, but when I unscrewed the cap it instantly turned to ice.

So I guess you can prevent water from freezing if you have enough pressure on it, by preventing it from expanding it doesn't crystallize.

How cold can you get water in this case without turning it to ice? As cold as you want?

Or does the water stop releasing heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if anybody's ever figured out the phase diagram for Coke :) but it sounds like it has the same "backwards" property that water has (that increasing pressure will keep it as a liquid in colder temperatures), which makes sense, since it's mostly water.

400px-Water_phase_diagram.svg.png

and see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water

Pressure on the Y scale, temperature on the X scale), we're normally at about 10^5 Pa pressure, showing that the freezing point is normally around 273K, but the freezing point drops lower as the pressure increases.

Is it possible to get it down to 1 degree Kelvin without freezing? It looks like from the charter there that there is a limit.

DaleSwanson said:
It seems soda has about 300kPa, which doesn't seem like it would significantly change the freezing point.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/SeemaMeraj.shtml

Perhaps some of the coke froze, expanded, and increased the interior pressure enough to lower the freezing point...?

I think they pressurize the bottle when they pack it. So there was no way for it to expand in the first place. It was diet so there was no sugar in it, it's basically just flavored water.

What is the effect of ice on the pressure of Coke?

The addition of ice to a container of Coke does not directly affect the pressure of the drink. However, as the ice melts, it will displace some of the liquid in the container, causing a slight increase in pressure.

Why does Coke explode when shaken?

Coke contains dissolved carbon dioxide gas, which is responsible for the carbonation and fizz of the drink. When the bottle is shaken, the gas molecules become agitated and rise to the surface, causing the pressure inside the bottle to increase. If the pressure becomes too high, the bottle may explode.

How does pressure affect the taste of Coke?

The taste of Coke is not directly affected by pressure. However, changes in pressure can alter the carbonation levels and affect the perceived taste and texture of the drink.

What happens to the pressure of Coke as it warms up?

As Coke warms up, the carbon dioxide gas becomes less soluble and will start to escape from the liquid, decreasing the amount of pressure inside the container. This can also cause the drink to become flat.

Why does Coke taste different at different altitudes?

At higher altitudes, the air pressure is lower, which means there is less pressure pushing down on the surface of the Coke. This decrease in pressure allows the dissolved carbon dioxide gas to escape more easily, resulting in a less carbonated and potentially less flavorful drink.