Cold Cranking Amps: How Are They Determined?

• Thread starter dcell79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Cold
In summary, the determination of cold cranking amps on a battery is based on factors such as electrode surface area, terminal size, and electrolyte density. As battery plates have become thinner and calcium has been added to make them more robust, the CCA has also increased. The term "cold cranking amps" likely comes from a standardized test by the Society of Automotive Engineers.
dcell79
In my search for an answer I found a post regarding car batteries but it didnt offer me anything I was looking for. My question, or the a step toward the correct question is how exactly are cold cranking amps on any particular battery determined. At first I speculated it was the amount of or quality of lead used, however that opened more questions rather than answers. And, not to seek any sympathy but I sell batteries, not make them. My understanding of how they truly work and why is limited. Although it has been a fascinating journey finding information. If anyone can provide another step in the right direction or an answer I would be thrilled to hear it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A battery that can supply greater current is one with less equivalent series resistance. To produce a battery that has very low series resistance, you need a very large electrode surface area, very large terminals, very ion-dense electrolytes, etc.

- Warren

A couple of more factoids from long ago -

As battery plates became thinner, they could pack more in and get more cranking amps. This also made the plates more fragile and less tolerant to deep discharge.

Later, they started adding calcium to the plates. I think this was to make them more robust while keeping the cranking amps up.

I suspect the expression cold cranking amps came from a standardized test. The Society of Automotive Engineers has been good at standardizing anything that gets under the hood :)

- Mike

Cold cranking amps are taken quite literally up here in Canada--the CCA at -20C or -40C had better be enough to turn your engine over and start your car!

Related to Cold Cranking Amps: How Are They Determined?

1. What is the definition of Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)?

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is a measurement of the amount of electrical current a battery can deliver at 0°F (-17.8°C) for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.

2. How are Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) determined?

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) are determined by conducting a standardized test on a battery at 0°F (-17.8°C) for 30 seconds. The test measures the battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures, and the CCA rating is based on the highest electrical current the battery can deliver during the test.

3. Are Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) the only important factor in choosing a battery?

No, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is just one of the important factors to consider when choosing a battery. Other factors such as reserve capacity, size, and compatibility with the vehicle also play a crucial role in determining the best battery for your needs.

4. What is the relationship between Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and cranking amps (CA)?

Cranking Amps (CA) and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) are two different measurements of a battery's starting power. CA is measured at 32°F (0°C) and for 30 seconds, while CCA is measured at 0°F (-17.8°C) for the same duration. CCA is a more accurate representation of a battery's starting power in colder climates.

5. Is a higher Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) always better?

Not necessarily. A higher CCA rating means that the battery can deliver more starting power in cold temperatures, but it also means that the battery will be larger and more expensive. It's important to choose a battery with a CCA rating that is suitable for your vehicle and climate, rather than just opting for the highest rating available.