College level homework help.

In summary, the conversation discusses four physics problems involving projectile motion and 2D kinematics. The first problem involves a baseball player hitting a home run and determining the initial speed of the ball. The second problem involves a person falling off a roof and landing in a safety net, and the height of the roof is to be calculated. The third problem involves a football player tackling an opponent who catches a ball kicked at an angle, and the required acceleration for the player is to be found. The fourth problem involves a train and car collision, and the speed of impact is to be determined. The conversation also includes tips on how to approach 2D kinematics problems and the importance of setting a zero reference point.
WinWolfz
I have been assigned the following four questions, and am absolutely lost as to how to solve them. I am NOT looking for someone to solve them for me, however any general hints and tips, as well as pointing at other similar examples or equations would be wonderful! I want to be able to understand these on my own, not just copy someone else's work. Thanks in advance!

1. A baseball player hits a home run that just barely clears the 12-m-high fence in right fi eld—92 m from home plate. If the ball was at a height of 1 m when it was hit, and its initial path after it left the bat was at an angle of 40° above the horizontal, what was the ball's initial speed when it left the bat?

2. While installing an antenna on your roof, you lost your footing and slid off the roof. Fortunately, you placed a safety net whose center is positioned at a horizontal distance of 3.75 m, measured from a point directly below the edge of the roof—and indeed you landed in the center of the net. If the roof slopes downward at a 30° angle below the horizontal, and your speed as you left the roof was 4 m/s, how high was the edge of the roof above the level of the safety net?

3. At the same moment when his teammate punts (kicks) the ball, a football player starts from rest—at a point exactly alongside the kicker—and runs down the level fi eld with constant (non-zero) acceleration,
toward the opponent who is waiting to catch the ball. If the ball leaves the kicker's foot at an angle of 76.0° above the horizontal, what acceleration does the player need in order to arrive and tackle the opponent just as he catches the ball? (Assume the ball is caught at the same height as that from which it was kicked.)

4. A train and a car collided in the night at a rural crossing on level ground. The train track is straight and runs northeast/southwest. At the point of collision (the crossing) the train was traveling northeast at a constant speed of 30 m/s. The road runs east/west, and at the point of collision, the car was traveling east at a constant speed of 20 m/s. What was the speed of impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
have you drawen diagrams for all these. that will help tremendously.

So how much have you covered in Physics?

Btw, I can't really help you out until you post on how far youve got or at least your thoughts on each question.

I've attempted diagrams for each of the problems, but I'm still having issues with what formulas to use, since each I try seems to have a piece missing that I need. I tried making a table of varaiables to find, but still no luck. I know most of these have to do with sin/cos/tan type situations with all the angles posted. These problems were given to us after we'd just finished kinematics in two dimensions, so I know they probably have something to do with finding separate x and y values for horizontal and vertical distances.. Hope that helps.

ok so for the first one, what equations do you have for x direction and y direction. And since this is a projectile problem what can you assume about acceleration in the y and x direction.

I've had trouble trying to post this due to a terrible internet connection. This is my third try. Hope you're still interested.
I'll give you some tips first on tackling 2D kinematics questions:
1. Resolve the variables into 2 perpendicular directions, normally horizontal, x and vertical.
2. Set a convention on which direction the variables are positive like velocity and displacement upwards is positive.
3. Set a zero reference point.
4. Remember that the only variable that is constant in both directions is time.
5. Normally, we take horizontal acceleration as zero and vertical acceleration as 'g'. I prefer 9.81 m/s^2.

For the first question, you can set the zero reference point at the 1 metre above the ground where the the ball was hit. That would mean that vertical displacement would be 11m while horizontal displacement 92m. Since you have the angle, you can find the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity. Take 'u', and then simply find it!

I had a few TAs help me out, and I think I got things squared away. Thanks everyone for the help and the tips! Every little bit gets me one step closer to that A on the midterm. :)

1. What subjects can I get help with in college level homework help?

College level homework help covers a wide range of subjects including math, science, English, history, and more. You can find help for almost any subject you are studying in college.

2. Can I get help with all types of assignments, such as essays and problem sets?

Yes, college level homework help can assist you with all types of assignments. This includes essays, problem sets, lab reports, research papers, and more.

3. How quickly can I get help with my homework?

This will depend on the availability of the tutors and the complexity of the assignment. In most cases, you can get help within a few hours or less. However, it is recommended to submit your request as early as possible to ensure timely assistance.

4. Is the help provided by college level homework help considered cheating?

No, the help provided by college level homework help is not considered cheating. The tutors are there to guide you and help you understand the material, not to do the work for you. It is important to use the resources responsibly and to use the assistance to improve your understanding of the subject.

5. How qualified are the tutors providing college level homework help?

The tutors providing college level homework help are highly qualified and have expertise in their respective fields. They are often graduate students or professionals with advanced degrees in their subjects. They are also trained in providing online tutoring and are committed to helping students succeed in their studies.