Projectile motion related problem

In summary, to find the speed of the ball when it leaves Sarah's hand, we need to calculate the initial vertical velocity and horizontal velocity. Using the given information of the ball reaching a maximum height of 9m and a horizontal velocity of 15 m/s, we can use the equations of motion to find the initial vertical velocity. After making a correction for leaving out Voy*t in the expression, we can solve for Voy and then use Pythagorean's theorem to find the total velocity when the ball leaves Sarah's hand.
Thewindyfan

Homework Statement

Julie throws a ball to her friend Sarah. The ball leaves Julie's hand a distance 1.5 meters above the ground with an initial speed of 18 m/s at an angle 39 degrees with respect to the horizontal. Sarah catches the ball 1.5 meters above the ground.

5) After catching the ball, Sarah throws it back to Julie. The ball leaves Sarah's hand a distance 1.5 meters above the ground. It is moving with a speed of 15 m/s when it reaches a maximum height of 9 m above the ground.
What is the speed of the ball when it leaves Sarah's hand?

Homework Equations

y = 1/2at^2 + Vo(y)t^2 + y(o)
V = V(o) + at

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I have come across a problem where I know exactly how to do it, yet I'm still messing up somewhere that I am not sure of algebraically and would like to know where I'm going wrong in my approach to this question:
To find the initial velocity, we need both the horizontal component and vertical component of velocity. We are given the horizontal component of velocity to be 15 m/s, because when the ball is at max height the only velocity it has is its horizontal velocity. So we first need to find the vertical velocity before applying Pythagorean's theorem to find the resultant velocity vector.
- I do know there is the easy way of doing this without concerning time at all using the expression with Vf^2 - V(o)^2 and what not, but it's annoying me that I'm messing up somewhere in the problem, even though the algebra doesn't seem that difficult at all. So this is what I was doing -
Using the expression for velocity, I found that the time that it reaches the max height is Voy/a and then used it in the displacement equation:
9 = 1/2*a*(Voy^2/a^2) + Voy*(Voy/a) + y(o)
9 - y(o) = 1/2*(Voy^2/a) + Voy^2/a
9 - y(o) = (Voy^2/a)(1/2 + 1)
(9-y(o))/(3/2) = Voy^2/a
(9-y(o))*(2/3)*(a) = Voy^2
Voy = √(9-y(o))*(2/3)*(a)
When I arrived at this conclusion, I knew I messed up because when you plug in the numbers, the number inside the radical ends up being negative so it doesn't make sense. Can someone point out where I'm going wrong in my train of thought here? Thank you so much.

*I also retried the algebra earlier using a = -g, and still arrived at the same conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thewindyfan said:
After catching the ball, Sarah throws it back to Julie. The ball leaves Sarah's hand a distance 1.5 meters above the ground. It is moving with a speed of 15 m/s when it reaches a maximum height of 9 m above the ground.
What is the speed of the ball when it leaves Sarah's hand?
You have vy=0, h=9m. Calculate initial vertical velocity from this. You have horizontal velocity too. Then calculate total velocity.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
What will be the vertical velocity when the ball will reach maximum height?

Oh wow, I can't believe I made the mistake of leaving Voy*t in the expression. Now it makes sense!

Thanks for putting up with my block of text and getting straight to the point! I'll retry the problem later when I get back to it armed with this correction.

Thewindyfan said:
Oh wow, I can't believe I made the mistake of leaving Voy*t in the expression. Now it makes sense!

Thanks for putting up with my block of text and getting straight to the point! I'll retry the problem later when I get back to it armed with this correction.
Well, I thought you had considered that, so I edited the post:wink:! Good luck!

1. What is projectile motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or dropped and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity. This type of motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a parabolic path instead of a straight line.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory, or path, of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the range, height, and shape of the projectile's path.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. To calculate the range, you need to know the initial velocity, the angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula: Range = (initial velocity squared x sin(2*angle)) / acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a projectile. It can cause the projectile to slow down and change its trajectory. The effect of air resistance is greater for objects with a larger surface area and lighter weight.

5. How is projectile motion used in real-life applications?

Projectile motion has many practical applications in fields such as sports, engineering, and physics. For example, it is used to calculate the trajectory of a golf ball, the trajectory of a rocket or missile, and the motion of a rollercoaster. Understanding projectile motion is also important for developing safety measures and optimizing performance in these applications.