Colli Albani Volcanic District - recent activity

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Activity
In summary: There is no one definitive answer to this question. Every eruption is different and will have different effects.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Colli Albani (Alban Hills) is located 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Rome and about 24 kilometres (15 mi) north of Anzio. It has been considered a quiescent volcanic complex - until recently.

An ancient volcano on the outskirts of Rome is showing signs of another enormous eruption – some time in the next 1,000 years or so, say scientists.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...s-a-massive-volcano-near-Rome-rumbles-to-life
The Colli Albani, a 9-mile-long semicircle of hills on the outskirts of Rome, last erupted 36,000 years ago, so geologists had classified it as extinct – until about 20 years ago.

In the early 1990s, the area around the Colli Albani Volcanic District began showing geological indicators of a future explosion: ground levels shifted, steam vents opened, and earthquakes shook the hills around the site.
http://blogs.agu.org/geospace/2016/07/12/dormant-volcano-near-rome-waking/

Assessing the volcanic hazard for Rome: 40Ar/39Ar and In-SAR constraints on the most recent eruptive activity and present-day uplift at Colli Albani Volcanic District
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016GL069518/full?campaign=wlytk-41855.6211458333

It's important to pay attention to local geology, particularly volcanoes and major seismic zones. Be prepared and know what to do in the event of an eruption or strong earthquake.

Likes 1oldman2
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm a little bit more afraid about the US pacific coast, esp. in OR. A big one including a tsunami is overdue. And there are nuclear power plants not far from the coast (as far as I remember). I have similar concerns about Yellowstone, the Phlegraean Fields and the Cumbre Vieja on La Palma. If there is a major eruption near Rome, will this affect the hotspot at Napoli (120 mi)?

Is there a list of deviation times from the mean value of eruptions?

Astronuc said:
Colli Albani (Alban Hills) is located 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Rome and about 24 kilometres (15 mi) north of Anzio. It has been considered a quiescent volcanic complex - until recently.
That would be bad news for the neighborhood if it let's loose. You could possibly see Rome "unbuilt in a day".

Sorry about that weird last post either my browser is getting buggy or the site is, not sure which.:frown:
(Edit) maybe 349 of 350 mb's of cache being full had something to do with the problem,

fresh_42 said:
I'm a little bit more afraid about the US pacific coast, esp. in OR. A big one including a tsunami is overdue. And there are nuclear power plants not far from the coast (as far as I remember). I have similar concerns about Yellowstone, the Phlegraean Fields and the Cumbre Vieja on La Palma. If there is a major eruption near Rome, will this affect the hotspot at Napoli (120 mi)?

Is there a list of deviation times from the mean value of eruptions?
I was downwind from St. Helens when that one blew, what a mess, Yellowstone is downwind from me so from where I'm at it would likely make for some interesting sunrises but I pity anyone on the downwind side of that one.

1oldman2 said:
I was downwind from St. Helens when that one blew, what a mess, Yellowstone is downwind from me so from where I'm at it would likely make for some interesting sunrises but I pity anyone on the downwind side of that one.
If Yellowstone erupts such that the whole chamber will be emptied, then the entire planet is downwind sooner or later. In a documentary I saw they said something of about several meters of ashes in a place as far as Chicago.

Likes 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:
then the entire planet is downwind sooner or later.
Good point, no doubt the "mess" would be global. No matter what projections you look at no one would be unaffected but I'm glad none of us will likely be around to witness the effects. I was fishing in the mountains with my wife on the day St. Helens blew so we had no Idea what happened, it appeared as if an extremely bad storm was coming over the horizon so we beat feet for town, in a matter of a half hour it was almost completely dark in mid afternoon and appeared to be snowing. When I say "what a mess" its hard to believe what the ash was like nearly 500 miles from St. Helens. When Yellowstone does erupt as it inevitably will someday I don't want to be around for the results. I'm told Yellowstone's magma chamber is the same one that produced the Snake river/craters of the moon area as well as the Columbia river area basalt flows. Its been around a long time just keeps shifting to the east and erupting periodically. Rome would be a bad place to be when that system goes, it's way to close considering the population base of the area.

1. What is the Colli Albani Volcanic District?

The Colli Albani Volcanic District is a volcanic complex located in the Alban Hills region of Italy, about 20 kilometers southeast of Rome. It is composed of multiple volcanic structures, including the highest peak, Monte Cavo, which is an extinct volcano.

2. Has there been any recent activity in the Colli Albani Volcanic District?

No, there has not been any recent volcanic activity in the Colli Albani Volcanic District. The last known eruption in this area occurred about 36,000 years ago. However, there have been some signs of unrest, such as gas emissions and seismic activity, which are being monitored closely by scientists.

3. Are there any potential hazards associated with the Colli Albani Volcanic District?

Yes, there are potential hazards associated with the Colli Albani Volcanic District. While there is no imminent threat of an eruption, the area is still considered to be active and there is a possibility of future eruptions. The most significant hazard would be from phreatic or phreatomagmatic eruptions, which are explosive eruptions caused by interactions between magma and water.

4. How is the activity of the Colli Albani Volcanic District monitored?

The activity of the Colli Albani Volcanic District is monitored by a network of seismometers, gas sensors, and ground deformation instruments. These instruments are used to detect any changes in the volcanic system that could indicate potential volcanic activity. In addition, scientists also regularly conduct field surveys to assess the current condition of the volcanic structures.

5. Is there any ongoing research being conducted on the Colli Albani Volcanic District?

Yes, there is ongoing research being conducted on the Colli Albani Volcanic District. Scientists are studying the geological history of the area, the potential hazards, and the current state of the volcanic system. They are also working on developing better tools for monitoring and predicting volcanic activity in the region.