Collision Experiment: Why Roll Back? Magnetic?

In summary, the experiment shows that the balls are running on rails and rotating much faster than their movement would indicate due to a lot of angular momentum being stored. This angular momentum is not lost during the collision, causing the balls to "skid" as they move apart. The rotation eventually gains traction on the rails and the spheres accelerate towards each other again. The video also confirms that the balls are not perfect and have arrows marked on them to indicate their rotation. This experiment also demonstrates the conservation of momentum and angular momentum.
Moossameli
Look at this experiment: Why roll the balls after the collision back to each other? Are they magnetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spoiler! Highliight to read:

The balls are quite dense. They are running on rails, which means they are rotating much faster than their movement would indicate. There's a lot of angular momentum stored.
That angular momentum is not lost when they collide and bounce off each other. In effect, as they move apart, they are "skidding" - they've lost traction, but are still rotating. Eventually the rotation gains traction on the rails and the spheres accelerate toward each other again.Reviewing the video again, I can see confirmation that I am right. The balls are not perfect; there is an arrow marked on each of them which shows how they are rotating. You can see the arrows in the closeup (as a matter of fact, you can juuuust catch them at the start of the closeup - at 0:19 juuuuust as they disappear into the black reflection at the bottom.) They are rotating the same direction both before and after the collision.

Last edited:
Gee, that's complicated. I would have just filed a low spot in the rail. :biggrin:

Likes DaveC426913
:D The first post I made, which I deleted as superfluous, suggested the rails might simply be bowed in the center. But after more examination, I decided the demo was legit, not just a trick.

You're probably right. My eyes aren't that good any more; I can't really see the spin.

Hard to say without more data. Is it certain that balls/spheres are made homogeneous ?

Danger said:
I can't really see the spin.
Look at the sky reflection, right when they collide.

zoki85 said:
Is it certain that balls/spheres are made homogeneous ?
The density distribution seems symmetrical, given how uniformly they roll.

A.T. said:
Look at the sky reflection, right when they collide.
Okay, I've got it now. When I first looked at it, that arrow thingie just didn't quite register in my brain. It took half a dozen more viewings before it did. (I saw it; I just couldn't figure out what it was doing.) Maybe temporal dyslexia affects visual things as well as spoken ones. :redface:

I'm not sure why I only saw the arrows appear one time ?

RonL said:
Maybe there's sidespin as well, so they weren't in a visible spot earlier. Originally, once I realized that they were arrows, I suspected that they might have been digitally added to indicate spin, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

RonL said:
Because they cross the upper bright part only one time. But you see them also at 0:17 on the left ball, in the lower right part.

A.T. said:
Because they cross the upper bright part only one time. But you see them also at 0:17 on the left ball, in the lower right part.
Thanks, yes:)

Did no one read my spoiler? It describes the arrows.

DaveC426913 said:
I just read the OP's "are they magnetic?", watched once, then read your spoiler, then watched again and it all made sense.

Once I realized the balls were rolling on rails the dramatic pushes and attractive reactions all fell into perspective.

DaveC426913 said:
I read it, and once I actually realized that they were physically present as opposed to CGI it made sense.

I can't understand what highlight to read, is supposed to do ?
Your next post said you deleted the first one.
Now you ask if no one read it ? I'm confused other than to say post #4 you say it's not a trick o_O:)

RonL said:
I can't understand what highlight to read, is supposed to do ?
I didn't get it at first either, just click and drag the mouse like you are selecting text to copy or quote.

jerromyjon said:
I didn't get it at first either, just click and drag the mouse like you are selecting text to copy or quote.
Thanks, I finally figured it out :) I'm pretty simple minded when it comes to finding text that's not visible. :D
I did slide the mouse on the text that was visible and all that came up was +quote or reply :oops:

DaveC426913 said:
Spoiler! Highliight to read:

The balls are quite dense. They are running on rails, which means they are rotating much faster than their movement would indicate. There's a lot of angular momentum stored.
That angular momentum is not lost when they collide and bounce off each other. In effect, as they move apart, they are "skidding" - they've lost traction, but are still rotating. Eventually the rotation gains traction on the rails and the spheres accelerate toward each other again.Reviewing the video again, I can see confirmation that I am right. The balls are not perfect; there is an arrow marked on each of them which shows how they are rotating. You can see the arrows in the closeup (as a matter of fact, you can juuuust catch them at the start of the closeup - at 0:19 juuuuust as they disappear into the black reflection at the bottom.) They are rotating the same direction both before and after the collision.

I believe this man is right. ( and I didn't say that because he looks like moses.)

In the impact, the spheres exchange momentum but no angular momentum. Therefore a slipping phase follows after the impact until the spheres can roll without friction.

Hier you can find an explanation in German;

1. What is a collision experiment?

A collision experiment is a scientific investigation that studies the interactions between two or more objects when they come into contact with each other.

2. Why do objects roll back after colliding in a magnetic field?

Objects can roll back after colliding in a magnetic field because of the forces exerted by the magnetic field. These forces can cause the objects to gain or lose momentum, leading to a change in their direction of motion.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the rolling back of objects?

The strength of the magnetic field can affect the rolling back of objects by influencing the magnitude of the forces acting on the objects. A stronger magnetic field can exert a greater force on the objects, resulting in a more significant change in their direction of motion.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact the rolling back of objects in a collision experiment?

Aside from the strength of the magnetic field, other factors that can impact the rolling back of objects in a collision experiment include the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of collision, and the presence of any external forces or friction.

5. What are the practical applications of studying collision experiments in relation to magnetic fields?

Studying collision experiments in relation to magnetic fields can help us better understand and manipulate the behavior of objects in various real-world scenarios, such as in the development of magnetic levitation technology or in controlling the motion of particles in particle accelerators.