What will be the ball's velocity after a perfectly elastic collision?

Lotto
TL;DR Summary
I throw a ball with a velocity ##v## against a bus moving towards me with a velocity ##-u##. What will be the ball's velocity after a perfectly elastic collision?
From the bus driver's point of view, who is at rest, the ball's initial velocity is ##u+v##. After the collision, its velocity has to have the same value, but an opposite direction, so ##-(u+v)##. So that means that relative to me standing on the ground at rest, the ball's new velocity is ##-(v+2u)##.

I understand this, but how to derive the new velocity from my point of view? I still can't explain why it is ##+2u## instead of ##+u##, I mean that the new velocity isn't##-(u+v)##. How to explain it? It is clear that it is because of the moving bus, but why in particular?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just write down the conservation of momentum $$mv-Mu=mv_f-Mu_f$$ and the conservation of kinetic energy $$\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}Mu^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2+\frac{1}{2}Mu_f^2$$ That is two equations in two unknowns, so you can solve it to get $$u_f=\frac{Mu-m(u+2v)}{m+M}$$$$v_f=\frac{mv-M(2u+v)}{m+M}$$ Then we simply take the limit as ##M\rightarrow \infty## to get $$u_f=u$$$$v_f=-2u-v$$

Likes Lotto and Frabjous
You can do the first case in your head because you know the solution for an object hitting a stationary infinite mass. You do not know the solution for a moving object hitting a moving infinite mass, so you have to go back to first principles and use conservation of momentum and energy for the second case. This is an example of why choosing a “smart” frame of reference can make solving a problem easier.

Last edited:
Likes Lotto and Dale
Lotto said:
I understand this, but how to derive the new velocity from my point of view? I still can't explain why it is ##+2u## instead of ##+u##, I mean that the new velocity isn't##-(u+v)##.
Can you explain why it should be ##-(u+v)##? It doesn't make any sense, because for ##v=0## the ball would just remain stuck to the bus, which isn't an elastic collision.

To check solutions it often helps to consider limiting / extreme cases.

Likes phinds, jbriggs444 and Dale
Not very long ago there was a heated thread about gravity-assisted maneuvers where something very similar came up. This might help you.
1692570593745.png

From the article

Another analogy, illustrated by the cartoon above, involves a moving railroad train that represents Jupiter, moving along its track about the Sun. The kid in the propeller beanie throws a tennis ball that represents a spacecraft. It encounters the train, which transfers its momentum into the ball.

It's interesting to note the speeds in the cartoon. The propeller-beanie kid sees his tennis ball moving away from him at 30 miles per hour. So does the Sun, sitting on the stationary platform. The engineer driving the train sees the ball coming at about 80 MPH, since the train is moving 50 MPH with respect to the ground. The train and ball interact at 80 MPH. The ball rebounds from the front of the train at nearly the same 80 MPH, which can be added to the 50 MPH speed of the train, because it acquired it from the train. The result approaches a total of 130 MPH.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/basics/primer/
Credit to @A.T. who originally shared the source. Well, and credit to the NASA guys who wrote it of course.

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total amount of energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of energy after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of a ball calculated after a perfectly elastic collision?

The velocity of a ball after a perfectly elastic collision can be calculated using the equation: v2 = (m1 - m2)v1 / (m1 + m2), where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities of the ball, and m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved in the collision.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a ball after a perfectly elastic collision?

The velocity of a ball after a perfectly elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision. The angle and direction of the collision can also have an impact on the final velocity.

4. Is there any difference in the velocity of the ball if the collision is not perfectly elastic?

Yes, if the collision is not perfectly elastic, some of the kinetic energy will be lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This means that the velocity of the ball after the collision will be lower compared to a perfectly elastic collision.

5. Can the velocity of a ball after a perfectly elastic collision be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the velocity of a ball after a perfectly elastic collision cannot be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the total amount of kinetic energy is conserved in a perfectly elastic collision, so the final velocity cannot exceed the initial velocity.