Collisions and relative energy loss

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulated lab experiment involving a single particle projectile being launched at a target particle in a circular chamber. The goal is to calculate the mass of the target by recording the time and scattering angle of the scattered projectile. The formula for calculating the mass ratio of the target to the projectile is also given. The questions involve finding the largest and smallest relative energy losses, expressing the energy loss as a function of V, and considering the conservation of energy in the collision. The solution involves using the formulas for kinetic energy and energy loss, and understanding that the energy is not lost but rather converted to another form of energy in an elastic collision.
dbakg00

Homework Statement

I am working on a simulated lab in which we have a single particle projectile launched at a target particle (located at the center of the circular chamber) of similar weight. Once the collision takes place, I record the time it takes for the scattered projectile to travel the radius of the circular chamber AND the scattering angle of the projectile. The purpose is to calculate the mass, M, of the target. I am given the mass, m, of the projectile. Before the trials took place, I measured the crossing time that the projectile (before the collision) took to cross the radius of the chamber. I took this measurement several times and I used the average value. The projectile is launched at an unchanging constant speed each time.

(a) I am being asked to find the largest and smallest relative energy losses among the ten collisions I studied. I know that [itex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex] but I am not given the radius of the chamber, so I can't find the initial velocity of the projectile before the collision. Once the collision has taken place, I record the post-collision crossing time and the scattering angle of the projectile. My program then gives me a "V" and a ratio of "M/m" from the following formula:

[itex]\frac{M}{m}=\frac{1+V^{2}-2V*cos\theta_{p}}{1-V^{2}}[/itex]

where V=[itex]\frac{v_{p}}{v_{0}}[/itex]

[itex]v_{0}[/itex] is the pre-collision speed of the particle, [itex]v_{p}[/itex] is the post-collision speed, and [itex]\theta_{p}[/itex] is the scattering angle.

(b) I am also being asked to express the relative energy loss [itex]\delta[/itex] as a function of V. Here is the given formula for energy loss:

[itex]\delta=\frac{E_{0}-E_{p}}{E_{0}}[/itex]

(c) The previous two questions consider energy loss. But we have assumed that the energy is conserved in the collision. Is energy actually lost, and if not, where does it go?

Homework Equations

[itex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{M}{m}=\frac{1+V^{2}-2V*cos\theta_{p}}{1-V^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\delta=\frac{E_{0}-E_{p}}{E_{0}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I have no idea where to start on this part. I'm thinking that if I understood this part, the the question in part b might be easier...?

(b) I am not sure where to start on this part because I don't know the radius of the chamber so I can't calculate the the velocities directly. I am, however, given the V for each trial run when I enter the scattering angle and crossing time post collision. I'm guessing that there is a way to use this V to figure out the relative energy loss, however, I can't see it. Can someone give me a clue?

(c) I think that the energy is not lost because it is an elastic collision. If this is true, then the energy must be converted to some other type of energy??

Please help. I apologize for the long post but I felt it was necessary to describe the experiment in complete detail. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have figured out the answer to question (b)

If [itex]\delta=\frac{E_{0}-E_{p}}{E_{0}}[/itex]

and [itex]E_{o}[/itex] = Initial Kinetic Energy, which = [itex]\frac{1}{2}*m*{v_{0}}^{2}[/itex]

then [itex]\delta=\frac{E_{0}}{E_{0}}-\frac{E_{p}}{E_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]1-\frac{E_{p}}{E_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]1-\frac{v_{p}}{v_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]1-V[/itex]

Is this right? If so then part (a) should become pretty easy to calculate. Please let me know if you see any errors. Thanks

Related to Collisions and relative energy loss

1. What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. This can result in a change in the motion or physical state of the objects involved.

2. What is relative energy loss?

Relative energy loss is a measure of the amount of kinetic energy lost during a collision. It is calculated by comparing the kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision.

3. How is relative energy loss related to the elasticity of a collision?

The relative energy loss is directly related to the elasticity of a collision. In perfectly elastic collisions, there is no energy loss and the objects bounce off each other with the same relative speed. In inelastic collisions, there is some energy lost and the objects do not bounce off each other with the same relative speed.

4. What factors affect relative energy loss in a collision?

The factors that affect relative energy loss in a collision include the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), and the materials and surface properties of the objects.

5. How do scientists study collisions and relative energy loss?

Scientists study collisions and relative energy loss through experiments using various materials and setups, as well as mathematical models and simulations. They also use laws and principles such as conservation of energy and momentum to analyze and understand the behavior of collisions.