What is the Velocity of the Third Object After Explosion?

• Thread starter VanKwisH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation discusses an object exploding into 3 equal masses with one mass moving east at a velocity of 15.0 m/s and a second mass moving at a velocity of 10.0 m/s 45 degrees south of east. The question is what is the velocity of the third object. The solution involves conserving momentum from the center of mass, which was initially at rest. The conversation also considers the absence of friction in this scenario.
VanKwisH

Homework Statement

An object explodes into 3 equal masses. One mass moves east at a velocity of
15.0 m/s . If a second mass moves at a velocity of 10.0 m/s 45degrees south of east.
What is the velocity of the 3rd object

Homework Equations

I know m1 = m2 = m3 therefore we have just M

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start ... can anyone help me get started at least??

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum has to be conserved from the Center of mass but you were never given an initial velocity I don't think you can solve it?

EDIT: Did the object explode form rest?

yes it exploded from rest, and my teacher said in this case there is no friction ...

VanKwisH said:
yes it exploded from rest, and my teacher said in this case there is no friction ...

Momentum has to be conserved for the center of mass of the individual particles, which equaled 0 before the explosion, can you see where to go form here?

Related to What is the Velocity of the Third Object After Explosion?

1. What is a collision in 2 dimensions?

A collision in 2 dimensions refers to the interaction between two objects in a two-dimensional space where the objects come into physical contact with each other. This can result in changes in the motion or properties of the objects involved.

2. How are collisions in 2 dimensions different from collisions in 3 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, the objects involved in a collision only have movement along two axes, whereas in 3 dimensions, they can have movement along three axes. This means that in 2 dimensions, collisions are limited to a flat surface, while in 3 dimensions, they can occur in any direction.

3. What factors determine the outcome of a collision in 2 dimensions?

The outcome of a collision in 2 dimensions is determined by the initial velocities and masses of the objects involved, as well as the angle and point of impact. The conservation of momentum and energy also play a role in determining the outcome.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of objects involved in a collision in 2 dimensions?

The momentum of an object in 2 dimensions is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity in the x and y directions. This can be represented by the equation p=mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

5. Can collisions in 2 dimensions be perfectly elastic?

Yes, collisions in 2 dimensions can be perfectly elastic if there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the objects involved will bounce off each other without any loss of energy, resulting in a change in direction and speed for each object involved.