Can You Capture Colors on Consecutive Nights with a Telescope?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the software that aligns and stacks images is Registax. It doesn't deal well with field rotation, so it is best to do all your data from each channel in one night. Jezz recommends using a hydrogen alpha filter to replace some poor luminance data. The first night of imaging was good, but the tracking wasn't great and the resulting RGB image had stars that came out egg-shaped. The second night of imaging was good and the resulting luminance image had better detail. The data was saved as a combined image. The third image is the result of combining that luminance image with the earlier color data.
russ_watters
Mentor
Jezz, sorry, been so long since I ues my scope I haven't looked in this thread! There is software out there that aligns and stacks images. I use Registax. It doesn't deal well with field rotation, so it is best to do all your data from each channel in one night.

I've done colors on consecutive nights, and combining them into an RGB image works best if the camera remains attached to the scope during the few nights of imaging so there aren't any rotation issues.

For luminance, I just went two months between capturing the color data and replacing some poor luminance data with better luminance data using a hydrogen alpha filter. So nothing about the camera setup was the same - not even the magnification. But it was relatively easy to rotate and stretch the luminance image in Photoshop.

Here's the full saga:
On 6/20 I shot:
14 exposures at 30 seconds for red (7 minutes)
27 exposures at 45 seconds for blue (20 minutes)
26 exposures at 45 seconds for green (20 minutes)

The red channel is more sensitive than the other two, so I use less exposure, though the number of exposures really should be equal. Also, tracking wasn't very good that night, so I had to discard a lot of frames. Still, the overall exposure time was a little on the low side. My first attached image is the resulting RGB.

I then shot:
34 exposures at 2 min for luminance (1:08 total) the same night.

Due to my bad tracking, the stars came out egg-shaped. So the second attached image is the combined lrgb. Not terrible, but the egg-shaped stars are a dealbraker to me. Plus the exposure time seemed a little low - the detail wasn't great.

Then I had two solid months of clouds, during whcih the telescope was set up in my living room. Last night was the first good night of sky(and perfect tracking) in months, and I shot:

26 exposures at 4 min each with a hydrogen alpha filter (1:44 total).

The third image is the result of combining that luminance image with the earlier color data. It's just under 2.5 hours of data altogether. I really could have used longer subs for the color, but it is good enough I'm not going to redo it for a long time. This was the first target I ever imaged (last year) and I've spent way too much time on it trying to get a good one as I climbed the learning curve. My first attempt is here, earlier in the thread (11 months ago): https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097341&postcount=148

Attachments

• m27-rgb.jpg
    m27-rgb.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 459
  • m27-lrgb.jpg
    m27-lrgb.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 442
  • m27-lrgb2.jpg
    m27-lrgb2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 431
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
...For luminance, I just went two months between capturing the color data and replacing some poor luminance data with better luminance data using a hydrogen alpha filter. So nothing about the camera setup was the same - not even the magnification. But it was relatively easy to rotate and stretch the luminance image in Photoshop...

...I shot:
26 exposures at 4 min each with a hydrogen alpha filter (1:44 total)...

Russ,

Have you ever tried to shoot the luminance shots using an IR bandpass filter instead of the H alpha? I've heard that the IR image is less subject to seeing problems.

All of my images are shot with a uv/ir filter, including the Ha. I do that to make them parafocal, since the Meade color filters pass uv and ir. So I have stacked filters (one on the nosepiece of the camera, and one in a rack).

Oh, you mean one that just let's through IR, not one that blocks it - right. Misread.

It is my understanding that you want to block the IR for images of nebulas because stars shine so bright in IR that they'll drown out the nebula. The stars get bloated. That seems to fit with my experience.

For galaxies, you need all the light you can get, and imaging in IR only doesn't give much signal. The second link you provided shows that.

Actually, about the only time you even want to include the IR at all is if you are imaging only stars or planets (though even for planets, the resolution is lower in IR because of the wavelength).

1. What causes the change in colors on consecutive nights?

The change in colors on consecutive nights is caused by the Earth's rotation and its position in relation to the sun. As the Earth rotates, different areas are exposed to sunlight, creating different lighting conditions and colors in the sky.

2. Why do colors appear more vibrant on some nights compared to others?

The vibrancy of colors on consecutive nights depends on various factors such as atmospheric conditions, moisture, and pollution levels. These factors can affect how light is scattered and reflected, resulting in more or less vibrant colors in the sky.

3. Can the colors on consecutive nights be predicted?

While there are some general patterns in the colors seen on consecutive nights, they cannot be predicted accurately. Many factors, such as weather and geographical location, can influence the colors seen in the sky.

4. Are the colors on consecutive nights the same all over the world?

No, the colors on consecutive nights can vary greatly depending on the location. Different latitudes and longitudes experience different amounts of daylight and have different atmospheric conditions, resulting in unique color patterns in the sky.

5. How do colors on consecutive nights impact our daily lives?

Colors on consecutive nights can have a psychological impact on our mood and emotions. For example, vibrant and warm colors during sunset can evoke feelings of happiness and relaxation, while cool colors during sunrise can energize and motivate us for the day ahead.