Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PHD program

In summary, the APAM program at Columbia University is a highly regarded program for those interested in pursuing a PhD in Applied Mathematics. However, there are other top universities with similar programs to consider. It is important to carefully review the admissions requirements and criteria for each program to determine which one is the best fit for you.
catsarebad
link to program
http://apam.columbia.edu/applied-mathematics

i'm currently getting masters in applied mathematics (at top 40 univ) and I'm curious about two things:

1) how hard is it to get into APAM program for PHD?

2) what are some schools with similar program?

I really like columbias program but if there's something similar somewhere else I might be interested in that as well. I really dislike how a lot of other top universities put high emphasis on Foreign Langauge requirement (uhhkkk), require you to take whole bunch of Pure Math class even if you're interested in Applied Math (i saw couple that preferred you take topology). I also have a strong dislike for subject GREs (thankfully many are making this optional).

My interests are in differential equations, say PDEs. I also have some physics background (one among many reasons i like APAM program). I will also be doing Numerical Methods course(s) soon, I've looked into that and it looks pretty interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really like the idea of having both math and applied side to the program.1) The difficulty of getting into the APAM program depends on a variety of factors such as your background, research interests, and academic record. It is important to review the admissions requirements and criteria listed on the program website to determine if you are a good fit for the program. Additionally, you can contact the APAM Program Director with any further questions or to discuss your application. 2) There are a number of universities that offer similar programs in Applied Mathematics. Some examples include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California Berkeley, University of Pennsylvania, Stanford University, and Princeton University. Each of these programs offers a unique experience, so be sure to do your own research into each program to determine which one is the best fit for you.

1. What are the admission requirements for the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program?

The admission requirements for the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program include a Bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic background in mathematics and physics, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Additionally, applicants are expected to have research experience and publications in these fields.

2. What is the average length of the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program?

The average length of the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program is 5-6 years, with the first 2-3 years dedicated to coursework and the remaining years focused on research and dissertation work. The exact length may vary for each student depending on their research progress and other factors.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program?

Yes, the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program offers several specialization areas such as mathematical analysis, mathematical physics, theoretical physics, and applied mathematics. Students can also work with faculty to create a customized specialization based on their research interests.

4. Are there opportunities for funding and financial support in the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program?

Yes, the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program offers financial support to its students in the form of teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. These opportunities are competitive and are usually awarded based on academic merit and research potential.

5. What research opportunities are available for students in the Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program?

The Columbia APAM (Math/Physics) PhD program provides students with a wide range of research opportunities in collaboration with faculty and other research centers at the university. Some popular research areas include quantum field theory, cosmology, condensed matter physics, and mathematical modeling. Students also have the opportunity to participate in conferences, present their research, and publish their work in academic journals.