Columbia, Chicago, or Cornell for undergraduate physics or engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who has been accepted into Columbia University, University of Chicago, and Cornell University and is seeking advice on which institution to attend. They are interested in pursuing a degree in physics or engineering and are considering their future career options. They value a broad and interdisciplinary education and would like advice from someone with personal experience at these universities.
richardc
I am finishing my final year of high school and would like to obtain an undergraduate education in physics or engineering. I was just accepted into Columbia University, the University of Chicago (which does not offer engineering), and Cornell University and plan to attend one of them. If anyone has any information that would help me make my decision, that would be very helpful.

I do not know exactly what job I want, but I would like to keep as many options open as possible. I may eventually work in industry, research, or some field not directly related to physics, such as finance. I plan to attend an excellent graduate school, perhaps for engineering (can this be done with a pure physics undergraduate degree?). So far, my greatest interests in science are astrophysics, thermodynamics, and aeronautical engineering (of course, I have very little experience). I also prefer an education that is broad, rigorous, creative, and interdisciplinary.

Based on the information I have provided and your personal experience, do you have any advice about these three universities and the major I would choose at them?

Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of those schools are great. You may want to also consider what type of city would you be most comfortable in. Do you prefer huge cities such as Chicago or NY or a smaller, college town such as Ithaca?

Thank you for your reply. I was in New York recently and greatly enjoyed all of the urban opportunities, but I do think that I would eventually yearn for more natural surroundings. I will visit Ithaca soon, and I expect a similarly dichotomous perception. In the end, I think that each option has advantages and disadvantages that approximately cancel each other out.

1. What is the difference between Columbia, Chicago, and Cornell for undergraduate physics or engineering?

Columbia, Chicago, and Cornell are all highly reputable universities with strong undergraduate programs in physics and engineering. The main difference between these universities lies in their location, size, and curriculum. Columbia is located in New York City and has a larger student population compared to Cornell, which is located in Ithaca, NY. Chicago, on the other hand, is located in the city of Chicago and is known for its strong focus on theoretical physics. It is important to research each university's specific program offerings to determine which one best aligns with your academic and career goals.

2. What is the average class size for physics and engineering courses at these universities?

The average class size for physics and engineering courses at Columbia, Chicago, and Cornell can vary depending on the specific course and level of study. However, on average, Columbia and Cornell tend to have smaller class sizes compared to Chicago. Columbia's undergraduate engineering program has an average class size of around 20 students, while Cornell's undergraduate physics program has an average class size of around 15-20 students. Chicago's undergraduate physics program has an average class size of around 30 students.

3. How does the research opportunities differ between these universities for undergraduate students?

All three universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students in physics and engineering. However, the type and availability of research opportunities may vary. At Columbia, undergraduate students have the opportunity to participate in research through the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships office. At Cornell, undergraduate students can participate in research through the Engineering Learning Initiatives program. Chicago offers research opportunities through its Undergraduate Physics Research Lab. It is important to research the specific research opportunities available at each university to determine which one aligns with your interests.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates from these universities in the field of physics and engineering?

All three universities have strong career prospects for graduates in the field of physics and engineering. Graduates from these universities have gone on to work in various industries, including technology, energy, aerospace, and more. Additionally, these universities have strong alumni networks, which can provide valuable connections and opportunities for career advancement. It is important to research the specific career services and resources offered by each university to determine which one can best support your career goals.

5. How does the cost of attendance compare between these universities for undergraduate physics or engineering programs?

The cost of attendance for undergraduate physics and engineering programs at these universities can vary. Columbia and Chicago are both private universities, while Cornell is a public university. Therefore, the cost of attendance may be higher for Columbia and Chicago compared to Cornell. It is important to research the cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, and living expenses, to determine which university is the most financially feasible for you. Additionally, it is important to consider any available financial aid or scholarship opportunities offered by each university.