Combination Problem: 8 0s & 10 1s in Bit Strings

• Thread starter MinusTheBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, I think the problem might be due to the fact that I'm trying to do something that I've not done before.
MinusTheBear

Homework Statement

I don't see why this is a combination problem, because to me dealing with bit strings means that order matters.
How many bit strings contain exactly eight 0s and 10 1s if every 0 must be immediately followed by a 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since every 1 immediately has a 0 following it, I thought about each 1 containing a 0 right after it as one item. That is, "10" is a single entity. This means that I have eight "10"'s and two 0's. Making a total of 10 items.

Since it is a bit string, I thought order matters since 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 0 0 is different from 10 0 10 0 10 10 10 10 10 10. Therefore, it's a permutation.

So I have P(10,8) * P(2,2). This was wrong. The solution is C(10,8) * C(2,2).

I guess my question is, what does it mean that order doesn't matter? I must be misunderstanding what that means.

Physics news on Phys.org
MinusTheBear said:
I don't see why this is a combination problem, because to me dealing with bit strings means that order matters.
How many bit strings contain exactly eight 0s and 10 1s if every 0 must be immediately followed by a 1?

Order does matter in a string, but notice that a symbol such as "1" can be used in different places in a string and if you imagine two "1"'s swapping places in the string, the string isn't changed. So, in a manner of speaking, the order of the various "1"'s doesn't matter. If fact, you can't tell the "1"s apart.

Combinatorial problems often involve both formula for permutations and formula for combinations. Unfortunately, nobody knows a systematic algorithm for taking the English language version of a combinatorial problem and translating it into a mathematical expression for the answer. Combinatorial problems are like chess problems. There is (as yet) no simple algorithm for solving them. With practice you can recognize some groups of problems as being of the same type.
Since every 1 immediately has a 0 following it,
That's backwards of how you stated the problem.

I thought about each 1 containing a 0 right after it as one item.
That's a good idea. Think of writing the string as filling in a sequence of 10 boxes. You must pick 8 of the boxes to have a "10" in them (if we treat "10" as a single item). It doesn't matter in what order you choose to fill the 8 boxes, just so you get them all filled.

Likes MinusTheBear
Stephen Tashi said:
Order does matter in a string, but notice that a symbol such as "1" can be used in different places in a string and if you imagine two "1"'s swapping places in the string, the string isn't changed. So, in a manner of speaking, the order of the various "1"'s doesn't matter. If fact, you can't tell the "1"s apart.

Combinatorial problems often involve both formula for permutations and formula for combinations. Unfortunately, nobody knows a systematic algorithm for taking the English language version of a combinatorial problem and translating it into a mathematical expression for the answer. Combinatorial problems are like chess problems. There is (as yet) no simple algorithm for solving them. With practice you can recognize some groups of problems as being of the same type.
That's backwards of how you stated the problem.That's a good idea. Think of writing the string as filling in a sequence of 10 boxes. You must pick 8 of the boxes to have a "10" in them (if we treat "10" as a single item). It doesn't matter in what order you choose to fill the 8 boxes, just so you get them all filled.

Thanks, I see the error in my thinking, now. I think I just spent to much time doing homework and not enough time sleeping last night to think straight. I'm sort of in a mental fog. I appreciate it. Coincidentally, I had no issue with this in Probability and Stats, but its giving me issues in Discrete Math 2 even though the examples are simpler.

1. What is a combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings?

A combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings refers to a mathematical problem where you have to find all possible ways to arrange 8 0s and 10 1s in a binary sequence, also known as a bit string. This problem is commonly used in computer science and coding.

2. How many possible combinations are there in a bit string with 8 0s and 10 1s?

There are 18 possible combinations in a bit string with 8 0s and 10 1s. This can be calculated using the formula for combinations, nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of elements (in this case, 18) and r is the number of elements being chosen (in this case, either 8 or 10).

3. How do you solve a combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings?

To solve a combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings, you can use a binary tree diagram. Start with the first number in the sequence (either 0 or 1) and branch out to all possible combinations for the remaining numbers, until you have exhausted all options. This method helps to visualize all possible combinations and makes it easier to count them.

4. What is the significance of solving a combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings?

Solving a combination problem with 8 0s and 10 1s in bit strings has practical applications in computer science and coding. It helps in understanding binary sequences and how they can be used to represent data in computers. It also enhances problem-solving skills and logical thinking.

5. How can this problem be extended to different numbers of 0s and 1s in bit strings?

This problem can be extended to different numbers of 0s and 1s in bit strings by changing the values in the combination formula. For example, if the problem was to find all possible combinations of 6 0s and 14 1s, the formula would be nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n = 20 and r = 6 or 14. The same binary tree method can also be used to solve the extended problem.