Combinational Logic Circuits using Logic Gates

In summary, combinational logic circuits are electronic circuits that use logic gates to perform specific logical operations on input signals and produce an output signal. They do not have any memory elements and the output is based solely on the current state of the inputs. Logic gates are the building blocks of these circuits and are responsible for processing and manipulating input signals. The main difference between combinational and sequential logic circuits is that the latter have memory elements and the output is dependent on both the current inputs and the previous state of the circuit. The most commonly used logic gates are AND, OR, and NOT gates, which can be combined to create more complex circuits. Combinational logic circuits are used in various electronic systems, including computer processors, calculators, and digital
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

Design a circuit with four inputs and two outputs which realizes the functions :
f1 = Σm(0,2,4,5,6,14)
f2 = Σm(0,1,4,6,12,14)

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work :
gif.gif

2 levels (NAND / OR )
10 gates
17 gate inputs

gif.gif

2 levels ( NAND / OR )
7 gates
11 gate inputs
Capture.png

Could someone check my answer please ?

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 407
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Capture.png
    Capture.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations for f1 and f2 look right, but your gate diagram does not (hint: look at the input selectors).

[Edit] I take it back. Diagram looks good. I was thinking that those selectors were input polarity selectors. They now appear to me as input state selectors.

Last edited:
Likes Fatima Hasan

What are combinational logic circuits?

Combinational logic circuits are electronic circuits composed of logic gates that perform specific logical operations on input signals to produce an output signal. They do not have any memory elements and the output depends only on the current state of the inputs.

What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic components that perform basic logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. They are the building blocks of combinational logic circuits and are responsible for processing and manipulating input signals to produce an output signal.

What is the difference between combinational and sequential logic circuits?

Combinational logic circuits do not have any memory elements, meaning the output is solely determined by the current state of the inputs. On the other hand, sequential logic circuits have memory elements and the output is dependent on both the current inputs and the previous state of the circuit.

What are the most commonly used logic gates?

The most commonly used logic gates are AND, OR, and NOT gates. These gates are used to perform the most basic logical operations and can be combined to create more complex circuits.

What are some applications of combinational logic circuits?

Combinational logic circuits are used in a variety of electronic systems, such as computer processors, calculators, and digital clocks. They are also used in control systems, communication systems, and other devices that require logical operations to be performed on input signals.