Combinatorial Question (Numbers of combinations)

In summary, the number of ways to arrange 12 balls into 4 rows with at least one ball in each row is equal to the number of combinations of 11 partitions from 11 available spots multiplied by the number of ways to distribute the 6 red balls and 6 white balls among the partitions. This can be expressed as \frac{11!}{4!7!} \cdot \frac{11!}{6!6!}, which simplifies to 13860.
ych22

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 12 balls be arranged into 4 different rows with each row having at least one ball if there are 6 identical red balls and 6 identical white balls?

Homework Equations

number of combinations of N objects into r groups is [tex]\frac{(N+r-1)!}{N!(r-1)!}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of two directions
1) First number of arrangements the 12 balls into 4 rows without the requirement of minimum of one ball in each row. Then find the number of combinations in which the requirement is not met. Deduct the latter from the former.

2) Pick the first ball in each row first. Then find the number of combinations to distribute the remaining balls.

Either way, I'm stuck on the math! I think I'm missing a deceptively easy way to look at the problem. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i would first assume you have 12 balls, and deal with the colours later

consider the 12 balls as follows
xxxxxxxxxxxx

partitioning them is the same as choosing 4 partitions from 11 available spots, example is given below
x|xxx|xx|xx|xxxxx

this will also guarantee there is at least one ball in each row, now include the different possible colour combinations

Related to Combinatorial Question (Numbers of combinations)

1. How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen. This formula applies for combinations without repetition.

2. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations involve selecting a subset of items from a larger set without regard to the order in which they are chosen. Permutations, on the other hand, involve arranging all the items in a particular order. Combinations have a smaller number of possible outcomes compared to permutations.

3. Can you give an example of a combinatorial question?

An example of a combinatorial question could be: "How many different ways can a committee of 5 people be chosen from a group of 10 individuals?"

4. How can combinatorial questions be applied in real life?

Combinatorial questions can be applied in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. In real life, they can be used to analyze and solve problems related to probability, genetics, and network design.

5. What are some common misconceptions about combinatorial questions?

One common misconception is that the order of items in a combination matters, when in fact, it does not. Another misconception is that all combinations are equally likely to occur, which is not always the case. Additionally, some people may think that the number of combinations is always larger than the number of permutations, but this is not true for all cases.