Can Any Finite Graph Have Vertices with Unique Edge Counts?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that any finite graph contains at least two vertices with the same number of edges. The "pigeonhole" method is used, where N vertices are placed in N-1 holes, and it is shown that the maximum number of edges connected to a vertex is N-1. The discussion also touches on the difficulty of understanding combinatorics and the importance of visual aids in understanding the concept. Finally, it is stated that the book's method may make the solution seem more complicated than it actually is.
Robben

Homework Statement

Show that any finite graph contains two vertices lying on the same number of edges.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused how my book proved this.

Let G be a graph with n vertices ##v_1, ..., v_n.## Place ##v_i## in a pigeonhole labelled ##m## if it has exactly ##m## neighbours. The possible labels on the pigeonholes are ##0,1,2,..., n-1## so ##n## vertices are placed in ##n## pigeonholes. However, the pigeon-holes labelled ##0## and ##n-1## cannot both be occupied.

Why can't they both not be occupied? And what exactly do they mean by occupied?

Physics news on Phys.org
An occupied pigeon-hole labelled by k contains the vertices having k neighbours.
If there are n vertices, and one of them has no neighbours, no other vertices are connected to it. What is the maximum number of edges from one vertex?
In a graph of n vertices, the maximum number of the edges from a vertex is n-1. If there is a vertex with n-1 neighbours, it means every vertex is connected to that one. Is there any vertex without neighbours then?

Last edited:
Likes Robben
Never knew this nor occurred to me. Can you prove it by simple induction? I would like to see it done.

Seems to me if you draw a graph the first step is one edge between two vertices, and thereafter you can never add an edge in such a way that the theorem is violated. ?

My post was answer to the question of the OP, about occupancy of the "pigeonholes", and was not connected to the solution of the problem itself. For me, it is not quite clear what the sentence
any finite graph contains two vertices lying on the same number of edges
means. Is it that there are at least two vertices with the same number of neighbours?

Last edited:
ehild said:
My post was answer to the question of the OP, about occupancy of the "pigeonholes", and was not connected to the solution of the problem itself. For me, it is not quite clear what the sentence means. Is it that there are at least two vertices with the same number of neighbours?

That's what I thought it meant.

ehild said:
My post was answer to the question of the OP, about occupancy of the "pigeonholes", and was not connected to the solution of the problem itself. For me, it is not quite clear what the sentence means. Is it that there are at least two vertices with the same number of neighbours?

I've also seen the problem stated as "Show every finite graph has two vertices with equal degree". So I think that interpretation is correct.

ehild said:
An occupied pigeon-hole labelled by k contains the vertices having k neighbours.
If there are n vertices, and one of them has no neighbours, no other vertices are connected to it. What is the maximum number of edges from one vertex?
In a graph of n vertices, the maximum number of the edges from a vertex is n-1. If there is a vertex with n-1 neighbours, it means every vertex is connected to that one. Is there any vertex without neighbours then?

Can you elaborate on this, please? I have trouble understanding combinatorics without examples.

I've noticed, when I am studying combinatorics, that I have to re-read the questions many times (at least 15 times lol) for me to understand it, is that normal? I don't have that problem with my other classes.

With the "pigeonhole" method, you have to arrange N vertices in N-1 holes.

See picture. You have a connected graph, with N=5 vertices.

graphneighbours.JPG

B and C both have one neighbour each. D and E both have two neighbours. A has 4 neighbours. Maximum number of edges connected to a vertex is 4.

If you add an isolated vertex, which is not connected to any other point, the graph consists of 6 vertices, but the maximum number of neighbours is still 4. The hole labelled by 5 is empty. So consider connected graphs only.
graphnotconnect.JPG

You have to put N vertices into N-1 holes. Is it possible with a single vertex in each hole?
Combinatorics needs a special way of thinking, For me, it is difficult , too. :oldmad: Make drawings, it helps!

Likes Robben
Frankly, the book's method is making an easy solution look hard.
Suppose every vertex can have a different degree. What's the least degree a vertex can have? What's the greatest degree a vertex can have if there are n vertices? If the are n different degrees in the graph, what are they? Is such a graph possible? In particular, can that minimum degree and that maximum degree coexist in one graph?

Likes Robben
ehild said:
With the "pigeonhole" method, you have to arrange N vertices in N-1 holes.

See picture. You have a connected graph, with N=5 vertices.

View attachment 82527

B and C both have one neighbour each. D and E both have two neighbours. A has 4 neighbours. Maximum number of edges connected to a vertex is 4.

If you add an isolated vertex, which is not connected to any other point, the graph consists of 6 vertices, but the maximum number of neighbours is still 4. The hole labelled by 5 is empty. So consider connected graphs only.
View attachment 82528
You have to put N vertices into N-1 holes. Is it possible with a single vertex in each hole?
Combinatorics needs a special way of thinking, For me, it is difficult , too. :oldmad: Make drawings, it helps!

Thank you very much, that was very helpful!

haruspex said:
Frankly, the book's method is making an easy solution look hard.
Suppose every vertex can have a different degree. What's the least degree a vertex can have? What's the greatest degree a vertex can have if there are n vertices? If the are n different degrees in the graph, what are they? Is such a graph possible? In particular, can that minimum degree and that maximum degree coexist in one graph?

Thank you!

Related to Can Any Finite Graph Have Vertices with Unique Edge Counts?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of finite discrete structures and their properties. It involves counting, arranging, and selecting objects or elements to solve problems.

2. What is a finite graph?

A finite graph is a mathematical representation of a set of objects, called vertices, connected by a set of lines or arcs, called edges. It is a visual way to represent relationships or connections between objects.

3. What are the basic elements of a finite graph?

The basic elements of a finite graph are vertices and edges. Vertices are represented by dots or points, while edges are represented by lines connecting the vertices. These elements can also have labels or weights to represent additional information.

4. What are some real-life applications of finite graphs?

Finite graphs have various applications in different fields, including computer science, social networks, transportation networks, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as the internet or the spread of diseases.

5. What is the importance of combinatorics in studying finite graphs?

Combinatorics plays a crucial role in studying finite graphs as it provides tools and techniques for counting and analyzing the properties of these structures. It also helps in solving problems related to graph theory, such as finding the shortest path between two vertices or determining the chromatic number of a graph.