Combinatorics problem on drawing sample with given mean

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in combinatorics related to setting up a pool with a predefined mean value for height. A simplified example is given, and the idea of Kullback Leibler entropy maximization is mentioned. However, the problem becomes more difficult when a person can only be drawn once. The conversation also touches on the concept of a mean value and the idea of allowing the number of persons to vary.
DrDu
Science Advisor
I am faced with a problem in combinatorics while trying to set up a pool. Instead of explaining my real problem, I prefer to give you a simplified example:
Say I am given a population of N persons of varying height ##h_i##. The height of each person ##i## in the population is known to me. Now I want to set up a sample of n persons so that the mean value of the height has on average a predefined value which is different from the grand mean of the overall population but otherwise I want the two populations to be as similar as possible. Especially, I don't want to introduce a hard cutoff.
I thought about Kullback Leibler entropy maximization, and this works well if it were possible to sample the same person repeatedly.
But how do you proceed if a person can only be drawn one time?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrDu said:
so that the mean value of the height has on average a predefined value

Since a mean value is "an average" , are you asking about how to set up a sampling procedure so the sample mean varies and may not always be equal to the predefined value, but the "mean of the sample means" taken over the distribution of samples is equal to the predefined value ?

Yes, exactly. I think this problem becomes muche easier if I allow also the number of persons n to vary. Then I get basically a Fermi-Dirac statistic.
Thank's for your help!

What is the definition of combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting, arrangements, and combinations of objects or events.

What is a sample in combinatorics?

In combinatorics, a sample refers to a subset of a population that is selected for analysis or study.

How is the mean used in combinatorics problems?

The mean, also known as the average, is used in combinatorics problems to represent the central tendency of a set of data. It is often used to evaluate the expected value of a random variable in a sample.

What is the purpose of drawing a sample with a given mean?

The purpose of drawing a sample with a given mean is to estimate the characteristics of a larger population. By selecting a sample with a specific mean, we can make inferences about the population and make predictions about future outcomes.

What are some common techniques used in solving combinatorics problems on drawing samples with given mean?

Some common techniques used in solving combinatorics problems on drawing samples with given mean include the use of permutations, combinations, and the binomial distribution. These techniques allow us to calculate the number of possible outcomes and determine the probability of obtaining a sample with a specific mean.