Combine swimming and running to get to the final point the quickest

In summary: I don't know why it wouldn't work.but If he will align himself x direction to right x component of his velocity will increase but if he will align himself to left won't it reduce the x component thus reducing drift?If he swims in the direction of the flow, his speed would be ##u+w>w##.If he swims in the direction of the flow, his speed would be ##u+w>w##.
IamVector
Homework Statement
A boy is situated at point A in a river, at distance
a from the riverbank. He can swim at speed u or run at speed
v > u on the shore; water flows in the river at velocity w > u.
The boy wants to reach the point C upstream on the riverbank
with minimal time. At what distance x from point B aligned
with point A should he get out of the water?
Relevant Equations
I think the diagram provided is wrong the question states that he want to reach A with minimum time so he should be aligning himself on the x distance left of AB
Capture3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
IamVector said:
Homework Statement:: A boy is situated at point A in a river, at distance
a from the riverbank. He can swim at speed u or run at speed
v > u on the shore; water flows in the river at velocity w > u.
The boy wants to reach the point C upstream on the riverbank
with minimal time. At what distance x from point B aligned
with point A should he get out of the water?
Relevant Equations:: I think the diagram provided is wrong the question states that he want to reach A with minimum time so he should be aligning himself on the x distance left of AB

View attachment 258766

As ##w > u##, he can't swim upstream.

PeroK said:
As ##w > u##, he can't swim upstream.
but If he will align himself x direction to right x component of his velocity will increase but if he will align himself to left won't it reduce the x component thus reducing drift?

IamVector said:
but If he will align himself x direction to right x component of his velocity will increase but if he will align himself to left won't it reduce the x component thus reducing drift?
The question is where he gets out of the water; not where he "aligns" himself. The diagram is not great because ##\vec u## is relative to the water; not to the bank. The dotted arrow in the diagram should be the resultant velocity relative to the bank: ##\vec w + \vec u##

PeroK said:
The question is where he gets out of the water; not where he "aligns" himself. The diagram is not great because ##\vec u## is relative to the water; not to the bank. The dotted arrow in the diagram should be the resultant velocity relative to the bank: ##\vec w + \vec u##
I think we should interpret ##u## as his absolute speed, i.e with respect to earth, since otherwise it wouldn't make sense to talk about orientation to minimise time.
The statement "he can swim at speed ##u##" is then confusing since if he moves to the right he'd obviously swim with a different speed than if he were to move to the left.

archaic said:
I think we should interpret ##u## as his absolute speed, i.e with respect to earth, since otherwise it wouldn't make sense to talk about orientation to minimise time.
The statement "he can swim at speed ##u##" is then confusing since if he moves to the right he'd obviously swim with a different speed than if he were to move to the left.
I mean that one should define a vector for the velocity in water after introducing an orientation angle from the normal to the riverbank and then use some calculus.

IamVector said:
Are you sure it's not ##w < u##?

archaic said:
That can't be right.

PeroK said:
That can't be right.
I took water frame of reference so his land speed is now (v+w) and time taken to cover x is let say 't' x = (v+w)t
now time it took to cross come out of river be 'T' so hyp = uT now angle be α so sinα = uT/(v+w)t is there a possible relation between T and t?

PeroK said:
That can't be right.
Why not? It doesn't make sense for ##u## to be with respect to water and say that ##w>u##, since if he swims in the direction of the flow, his speed would be ##u+w>w##.

archaic said:
Why not? It doesn't make sense for ##u## to be with respect to water and say that ##w>u##, since if he swims in the direction of the flow, his speed would be ##u+w>w##.

That's precisely what you've done in your solution above. Taken ##u## relative to the water. Although I see that solution has rightly been deleted now.

Capture4.PNG
well tried a different approach I studied earlier we have according to water frame of respect velocities v+w and u so we are assuming that the boy didn't took any break when going from water to land so I applied snells law and got sinα = (u/v+w) so alignment angle α = arcsin(u/v+w) is it correct approach?? and what to do next?

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
That's precisely what you've done in your solution above. Taken ##u## relative to the water. Although I see that solution has rightly been deleted now.
I have deleted it because I haven't included one term in my time expression and don't really want to recompute the derivative.

IamVector said:
View attachment 258768 well tried a different approach I studied earlier we have according to water frame of respect velocities v+w and u so we are assuming that the boy didn't took any break when going from water to land so I applied snells law and got sinα = (u/v+w) so alignment angle α = arcsin(u/v+w) is it correct approach?? and what to do next?
That looks like the correct equation for ##\alpha##. That was an imaginative approach!

You should be able to calculate ##x## now you know ##\alpha##.

PeroK said:
Look at this problem statement:
(IIT JEE 1983) A river is flowing from west to east at a speed of 5 metre/minute. A man on the south bank of the river, capable of swimming at 10 metre/minute in still water, wants to swim across the river in the shortest time. He should swim in a direction?
I think the speed in this problem is of the same spirit of the above.

PeroK said:
That looks like the correct equation for ##\alpha##. That was an imaginative approach!

You should be able to calculate ##x## now you know ##\alpha##.
x will be a*tanα

IamVector said:
x will be a*tanα
but when i checked the answer its
x = a( w/(u cos α) − tan α)

archaic said:
Look at this problem statement:

I think the speed in this problem is of the same spirit of the above.
I think he should swim straight ahead from s to n

IamVector said:
You need to be careful, since you used frame moving with respect to the bank.

Likes IamVector
PeroK said:
ohk just realized thanks for help. : )

PeroK said:
is there any approach to solve it by using Huygens principle

IamVector said:
is there any approach to solve it by using Huygens principle
I'm not sure about that. Using Snell's law was a clever idea, but maybe you should check with some conventional calculus.

Likes IamVector
IamVector said:
That's the answer I get.

Likes IamVector
PeroK said:
That's the answer I get.
here is the approach I saw in hint given below also it says that using huygens principle is considered the shortest way to solve such problem
approach :
once the front meets the point A, the front forms
a cathetus of a right triangle AP Q, where Q is the point
where the front meets the riverbank, and P is the position
of that Huygens source on the riverbank which creates the
circular wave meeting the point A. Notice that the point
P is the point where the boy needs to start swimming in
the water’s frame of reference, and is displaced by wT from
the corresponding point in the lab frame.

PeroK said:
That's the answer I get.
got it too :)

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
I'm not sure about that. Using Snell's law was a clever idea, but maybe you should check with some conventional calculus.
and calculus approach??

IamVector said:
and calculus approach??
If you got the answer using Snell's law, then great. That was very good.

Likes IamVector
PeroK said:
is calculus approach has something to do with properties of right angle and Pythagoras theorem?

PeroK said:
If you got the answer using Snell's law, then great. That was very good.
ohk moving on to next ques thanks for help :)

IamVector said:
is calculus approach has something to do with properties of right angle and Pythagoras theorem?

Using calculus you need to minimise ##(1 + \frac w v) \sec \alpha - \frac u v \tan \alpha##. Which you do by usual differentiation method.

Likes IamVector

1. How does combining swimming and running help you reach the final point quicker?

Combining swimming and running utilizes different muscle groups and allows for more efficient use of energy, resulting in a faster overall time to reach the final point.

2. Is it better to swim or run first when combining the two?

It is generally recommended to swim first and then run, as swimming is a full-body workout and may tire you out more quickly if done after running.

3. How can I train to combine swimming and running effectively?

It is important to incorporate both swimming and running into your training routine, gradually increasing the duration and intensity of each activity. Additionally, practicing the transition between swimming and running can improve your overall efficiency.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for combining swimming and running?

Some techniques to consider when combining swimming and running include using proper form for each activity, pacing yourself, and utilizing different breathing techniques for each activity.

5. Can combining swimming and running improve overall fitness?

Yes, combining swimming and running can improve overall fitness as it provides a full-body workout and engages different muscle groups. It also helps improve cardiovascular endurance and can lead to increased strength and stamina.